Too dry.

• Well just taste tested my very first attempt at making venison snack sticks. I would give myself a C on the end result. I used excaliber jalapeno seasoning and added cheddar cheese (high temp).My ingredients were, 3/4 cup &3 tbsp. of seasoning, 1 cup & 1 tbsp. of carrot fiber binder, 1 1/4 tbsp. ECA, 1 1/4 tsp of sure cure, and 26 oz. of ice water. I followed the smoking time table to a t. My end product was ok taste wise, but the consistency was poor and they were pretty dry. The only thing I might have done wrong is leave my vents open the entire cooking time. I also used no water tray. From everything I have been reading, to prep up for this adventure, the idea is to get all the moisture out of the product. I think I am wrong on that assumption. Please help me out all you sausage gurus. I really want to get this right.

• Why use fillers

• I forgot to add that I used 7 lbs. of venison and 3 lbs. of pork trimmings.

• Regular Contributors

@hinoon I make a lot of snack sticks with very lean meat including venison and goose. My first attempts were much the same as you describe. The fat content you are describing is exactly what I use. How much fat/grease is at the bottom of the smoker when the batch is finished? When I have tried to do a 10 pound batch in a small smoker it can take 18 or more hours to finish if you are sticking to the maximum temp of 170. The small heating elements can’t produce enough heat to bring the meat up the desired temperature in the time most of us are willing to spend making a batch of snack sticks. When we urn up the heat to shorten the cook cycle the fat melts out and the sticks taste dry. On a positive note the jalapeno seasoning you chose produces one of the best game snack sticks I have ever tasted once you get the ratios and cook process figured out.

• Walton's Employee

@hinoon Adding a water pan would help slightly, it adds a few percentage points to the smokers chamber but I think its main advantage is that it speeds the cooking process. Think of how much hotter 90 feels when its humid than when it is bone dry?

I’d guess that your vents being wide open the entire time was the real issue. You want that initial drying stage with the dampers (vents) open but after that you should shut it down to keep moisture in the meat. There are some people who are looking for very dry snack sticks, they are generally looking for something very specific and usually a shelf stable product but for taste having more moisture is a better thing.

• Regular Contributors

@cuddless More meat isn’t exactly a ‘filler’ and you get more product without sacrificing quality!

Recent Posts

• D

@newbe … Afternoon… Keep the meat BELOW 40 degrees F… Bacteria is growing while the meat is warming up… then again when cooling down… The LAST thing you want or need is a batch of meat that has been warm for an hour or longer… One good way to do that is double bowl the meat… Ice in the larger bowl and the smaller bowl, with the meat in it, on ice… You don’t want your family to get food poisoning… Dave

read more
  • P

I do it all the time. Still remember my mom saying it’s not a good idea. I’m sure if you are buying a nice steak and intend it eat it as a grilled T-bone you might notice some flesh cell break down (texture change). If you are going to use it in sausage you will not notice any difference. Made brats last night. Once frozen pork and elk. Refroze the brats. I do it time and time again.

read more
  • E

Here is a link to a website that has a handy Excel spreadsheet. It is, as it says a free non-commercial site.
    As for Waltons dropping the ball, I vote they are doing a great job.
    I think for all of us there are general guidelines, but unless you have a temperature and humidity controlled environment, both for the preparation, cooking (if you cook them) smoking, hanging etc, the results are bound to vary from batch to batch.
    Personally, I am searching how to get my home made smoked and dry cured pepperoni to the exact texture and firmness of Margarita pepperoni from the store.
    Through trial and error I have the flavor where I want it, but not the texture or firmness. I know time, temperature and humidity are all crucial, but the best I can do is in the basement and then subject to the environment that is there.
    I figure as long as I am not killing anyone or making anyone sick I am making progress. Thanks Waltons for all of the great information so far.
    Having said that, it would be nice to have your chart in an Excel spreadsheet.

read more
  • K

@jonathon

Thanks Jonathon! One question tho! You eluded to 178 being high for a temp! Don’t you guys recommend setting the temp at 175 during the final stage to completion to internal temp? Three degrees shouldn’t make that much difference should it??

read more
  • K

@lamurscrappy

Sounds reasonable. Thanks for your input. Pulling the meat at 152 will make a big difference I bet! Thanks again.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.