Small Batch Mixing

• How do you mix small (say, 3-4 lb.) batches to get proper extraction? The smallest hand crank mixers don’t seem to be recommended for batches less than 5 lbs. I’ve tried using a stand mixer with dough hook, but that does more kneading than mixing. And hand mixing for any length of time is a pretty cold proposition. Does anyone know of a hand crank mixer that will properly mix batches smaller than 5 lbs.?

• Power User

@reprice You might have better luck using the paddle attachment when using a stand mixer rather than the dough hook.

• @joe-hell Yes, I’ve tried that too. But as soon as the meat ball gets a little adhesive, all the paddle does is spin it around, with no mixing at all.

• Power User

@reprice
    Unfortunately hand mixing is the way to with small batches. We used to make 20# batches of sticks all mixed by hand. Seems like you spend a lot of time pulling it apart but when it gets tight and sticky you are there!

• @reprice Hello. If using a stand mixer try it with the paddle not the dough hook. I have a commercial mixer and now mixing 15 to 30 pound batches with the paddle attachment. When I was making smaller batches as you are the stand mixer always did a great job with the paddle. Remember not to over mix.
    Hope this helps.

• @reprice when the ball forms, increase the speed. That’s what I do and it works fine.

• Walton's Employee

@parksider I’ve never used a stand mixer, so when I am doing smaller batches it is hand mixing. For me, the biggest issue is how cold my hands get while doing this. I wonder what would happen if you used a hand powered mixer like people used to use before Kitchen Aids became so common? I am talking about the ones with the two rotating whisks that into your batter, anyone ever try using those ones a small batch?

• Cold hands…For small batches I put on a pair of those brown (jersey)gloves, then the latex over those. Huge difference.

• Walton's Employee

@papasop I’ve tried our cotton gloves and that didn’t seem to help too much, maybe I will try some other gloves and see if that helps, thanks!

• Been making sausage for 30 +yrs, my opinion is hand mixing over machine anytime. U can’t make a machine grab squeeze and twist. It doesn’t take that long to get the protein extraction your looking for by hand, maybe 5 minutes. When u run the meat the second time through the grinder you will achieve more protein extraction then mix a little more by hand you will notice how sticky the meat is. As far as helping with cold hands, use a tight fitting non powder nitrile gloves, and put u a bowl,of warm,water near u to dip hands in as needed. It will help, and won’t hurt if a little xtra water is mixed,in.

• @jonathon I remember years ago I had a pair of elbow length rubber gloves that had a lining inside. You could even use a thin cotton glove inside that. Don’t know what happened to them or where I got them from. Might have to do some Googling to find out.

• Power User

Consensus…No pain, no gain! A few minutes of discomfort is worth the reward!

Recent Posts

• Unless your grinding frozen chunks or large pieces of meat their really is no reason to do that. Its not going to really hurt anything if you do though. But for a small grind with a smaller grinder just cut the pieces smaller so they feed through better.

read more
  • Try sticking them in your fridge for a few days to dry out a bit more. Uncovered.

read more
  • C

@pigman34 I vacuum seal 1 year no problems

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

11 users active right now (0 members and 11 guests).
rreiss21, keiratayor, Snake River Smokers, Kmucker

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 9.5k posts in 1.6k topics.
We currently have 6.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, keiratayor.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.