Binders, Mixers and Swiss Army Knives

• Walton's Employee

MixersVideo

Weekly Blog Post - Binders, Mixers and Swiss Army Knives

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long-term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Meat Processing Equipment 203: Mixer Maintenance - In this video, we go over how the standard retail meat mixer works, plus full instructions on how to breakdown, clean and reassemble them.

Seasoning & Additives 202: High-Temp Cheese - We show what happens when you use high temp cheese vs when you use regular cheese in a bratwurst. We also go over some recommendations on when to use what flavor.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

Seasonings & Additives 203: Binders - We made up a few batches of snack sticks using Super Bind, Carrot Fiber, Sure Gel, Soy Protein Blend and a control group that we used no binders in. We monitored product loss and the consistency of the product and will be making a video with our results.

Seasonings & Additives 203: The Science of Nitrite - We are going to do a quick dive into the history of using Nitrite & Nitrate to cure meat and then a deeper dive into the science and functions of Nitrite in curing meats.

What’s on our Mind?

Is there some dishonesty going on when cured meat products are being promoted as “Natural” or “No Nitrites Added”? It’s almost impossible to go to a grocery store and look at the Hot Dogs and not see some that have an All-Natural or Nitrite Free label on them. Most of them will also have this “Other than Those Nitrites Occurring in Nature” and this is where there could be some confusion. 95% of the nitrites Americans take in are from Vegetables or drinking water not cured meat. Why do you think they use Celery Juice Powder as a “Natural” cure? It is because the celery pulls the nitrite from the soil and it resides in the plant, so is there really any difference if you are getting them from Ham or from Celery? I am fascinated by this entire category of meat processing and we will be having a few of the Meatgistics University “Classes” on this subject.

Noteworthy Recent Posts

@Newbe asked a question about Double Freezing Meat that I think more people have in the back of their minds. This has some good information in it, a few people (@lamurscrappy) had some very good points on this.

Meatgistics Community

Our little community continues to grow at a steady rate. In the past 7 days we have had;
    85 New Users
    130 New Posts
    20 New Topics

New Products

We have the replacement springs for the Automatic Syringe Injector online now. The one that is thicker on one end than the other can be found Here and the one that is the same thickness throughout can be found Here. The one that is the same size on both ends is the spring that is in the nozzle that the solution is pumped into the syringe, the one that is larger on one end than the other goes into the injection nozzle where the solution is pumped out of the syringe and into the meat.

• You guys got a great job! Im pretty passionate about this kinda stuff. I enjoy it a lot and love doing R and D stuff! Keep up the fun work!

Recent Posts

• D

Hey y’all checking in from Greensboro, NC. I have been making kielbasa and summer sausage for about 24 years and smoking of course. Just built a curing chamber and am always looking for new things to make! Canning ,pickling, curing, smoking, you name it!

read more
  • T

Thanks for all the help. I am very pleased with the products. I had a source I used for years that went out of business. Glad I have found you guys wish I had found you a long time ago.

read more
  • @Tim-Salois Yes, brining and pickling are used in the same way even though they do not mean the same thing even though they have slightly different actual definitions.

read more
  • S

@lamurscrappy thanks for all the help. I will let you know how the next batch turns out.

read more
  • @scottwaltner i personally think we found your problem. After the ice bath you need to hang them at room temp for at least an hour. That helps to bloom the product and help set the casing as well. I think thats your issue.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.