Sausage stuffing issue

• First time stuffing 19mm casings with a 12 mm tube. I had major issues blowing the gasket off the pusher. I’ve got Walton’s 11 lb. stuffer. I’ve had no problems with the bigger tubes. What am I doing wrong.

• I stuffed with a 12mm tube yesterday, but I have a 5# stuffer. Takes a lot of pressure. I would lube both the gasket and hopper wall with white oil. Also be sure your gasket is on tapered side down. I also add some additional water to my meat when using that little tube. Good Luck.

• Walton's Employee

@Mr-A What @rharms428 says is correct you want to make sure it is lubricated and situated correctly. A few other things that can help are making sure your air relief valve is open and functioning properly, that your meat is very cold, that it has not been held for too long after mixing and that it has the proper water and fat content. The biggest issue is when it is held too long before stuffing. When you season, cure and m,ix your product and then hold it for more than an hour or two the meat is going to start setting up and becoming difficult to stuff, this is when the gasket will “blow” and your meat will leak up above the piston.

• I pushed through and finished that day, I’ll definitely use white oil next time and chill the meat right before stuffing. I followed the thermal processing temps and didn’t “stray” to much, the final product turned out very dry. I used 13lbs venison, 5lbs pork trim, 2lbs of ground beef, ECA, carrot fiber, 2 quarts of water, and cure. Don’t care for the “tang” from the ECA, will try w/o next time. Any idea why it’s so dry?

• @jonathon I wanted to run my ground pork through the food processor to make it a little more like puree, any recommendations?

• Mr. A what did you use for the thermal processing? I just did my first batch also and they were dry too. I smoked mine and was told by the guys at Waltons that I dried them out too much by leaving the vents open and not adding the water pan to retain some moisture. I cant wait for my next attempt.

• Walton's Employee

@Mr-A Since you were using a 19mm casing I am assuming you made snack sticks and the fact that you used 2 qts to a 20 lb batch means there isn’t any reason why it would be dry unless you had what we call “fat out”. This is when the meat, fat and additives dont bind properly and the fat renders out of the meat and either gets trapped between the casing and creates an unappetizing fatty deposit, or it drips down out of the snack stick and gets all over your drip plate or the bottom of your smoker.

If your pork trim wasn’t mostly fat you also could have been pretty lean on the fat %. Pork fat is better than either pork butt or even pork trim as it is easier to calculate to make sure you are in the 70/30 range. Lets say your trim was 50% fat, that means you used 15 lb of lean, 2 lb of beef (assuming 80/20?) and 2.5 lb of pork fat. That would be too light on the fat by a few lb. So, pork trim is better than pork butt but still not as good as straight pork fat. I hope that makes sense, I lost myself somewhere in the middle of that and had to rewrite parts of it!

• @hinoon I did 125 for an hour, 140 for an hour, 155 for two hours, then 175 for an eternity (6 hours.) I stalled around 145-155. I had a water pan for all but the first hour. From what Jon posted I was probably to lean. I was going to use pork fat but I let the guy at a local meat locker talk me into pork trim. Should’ve known better. They’re so dry I think they’re inedible. I hate that since it was so time consuming, but there will be a round 2.

• @jonathon Hopefully lean was the culprit. The sticks were pretty wrinkly, but no fat between casing and stick and no mess on smoker floor. I was going to use pork fat but I let the guy at the locker talk me into pork trim. Next time I’ll use the fat. Thanks for the speedy responses, much appreciated.

• Walton's Employee

@skipdiggidy I assume you are talking about grinding your meat and then adding seasoning/cure/additives to the meat and then putting it in a food processor? If so then it might work but you might run into a few issues. Depending on how long you mix it and what kind of processor you are using I could see you ending up with a hot dog like texture to your finished product, this would be because you are essentially emulsifying your meat block. If you were able to control it where you could stop before you reach this step of processing you would avoid that but the seasonings are generally designed to be mixed in by paddle and not be exposed to whirling sharpened blades, some larger pieces (anything with fennel for example) could suffer. I know some people add seasoning between 1st and 2nd grind but in my mind using a food processor is a more violent process. Now, some seasonings, like Habanero Lime, have such small particle size that this would have no effect on them so it might just depend on what seasoning you are using?

Now, if you are saying grind once, then food process to break it down a little more and then add the seasoning/cure/additives I don’t see any problem with that but I also don’t really see a reason for it? The second grind would probably take just about the same time and give you better results, plus, then you dont have an extra piece of equipment to clean!

Now, if you do try this please document everything! I tried to use Weston’s Pro Series Blender once instead of a grinder to see if it would work, I ended up with sausage with long strings of fat and connective tissue and protein extraction was difficult as well. But, if you are able to pull this off I would certainly be interested. I would say you are probably going to need to increase the amount of water you would normally use. Good luck and keep us posted!

Recent Posts

• @chippewa just one I’d say it’s probably 1/8 in thick…the one we use is a Hobart though

read more
  • C

@blackbetty61 (Or anyone). do you just have 1 nylon washer on your auger? Or multiple washers? Mine has nothing now. I am sure it was lost before I got it

read more
  • F

You want to get it cooled all the way down before packaging, vacuum packing to prevent condensation from forming. That can cause freezing issues, freezer burn in the future.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

25 users active right now (1 members and 24 guests).
onloudstatus, ridgerunner54, Lorne Brown, johowell16, bepperly92, Dalemlee, wyattcrna

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 9.6k posts in 1.6k topics.
We currently have 6.9k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, wyattcrna.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.