Brine with Sure Cure #2, too long?

• I created a brine and do not know if the protein says too long in the wet cure/ brine is a bad thing.
    The brine is 1 gallon filtered water, 1 cup non iodized sea salt, 2 cups lite brown sugar, .4oz Ca. Ham Spice, 1 Tbsp. Pink Sure Cure #2, 1Tbsp. ground Black Pepper and 1 Tbsp. Granulated Garlic.

Can I brine it too long? I can soak off the salt and adjust the time for future runs, but my concern is too much cure in product, is that a bad thing and is the amount of Cure to water ratio too strong or correct?

Jay

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

JSmokedfoods I won’t be much help here as we don’t really deal with #2 Cure. 1 TBSPN per gallon seems very low to me but I might be wrong there. It is possible to leave it in too long but that is less of a concern with #2 as it contains Nitrates as well as Nitrites. The Nitrates break down into nitrites so you will have some right away and some for later.

• It meant PINK SURE CURE not #2, sorry about that.
    Is there an amount that I can add to 50Lbs. of salt and them use it freely in a rub to cure pork belly?
    What amount should I use for 1 gallon of water?
    If I add too much cure and keep the protein in it too long, is it harmful or bad, what is the outcome?

Thank you,

Jay

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size