DRY Cured meats

• Does anyone do DRY Cured meats and if they do? has anyone used a larding needle to put some fat inside some larger pieces of meat to create some extra fat ( FLAVOR) Inside of your DRY Cured meats. I Just purchased one and I will be experimenting, but wanted to know if anyone has done this at all and how did it turn out? I love dry curing meat!

• Walton's Employee

@demmerich I can’t help you out here really, I think @Parksider has some experience with his George Washington Jerky which I believe is a dried style sausage.

• Power User

@demmerich Yes I do a dry brine, cured and cold smoked. I’ve never done any needling though. Here’s a pic. This has been a favorite over decades, shelf stable, we always kept it in the cold cellar. No we vacuum seal with the moisture wicks and keep in the freezer for long term storage. These just came out of the smoker and need to rest a few days before they hit the slicer.

0_1549048814490_GW jerky.jpg

• @demmerich I have not dry cured any meat but am interested in trying. I have used a larding needle for the last two years. Bought several to threat spears of thick cut bacon into my deer roast and deer steaks. The bacon changes the flavor for the better and the steaks in particular are more tender. The procedure is not that easy. I will write a separate post on how to do it and will include some photos. Bottom line, try it, I bought
    My needles for under $10.

• Power User

I’m considering turning the majority of my basement into a space for meat curing and cheese aging because I’m a bachelor and I can. Lol

• @demmerich Had a friend had a recipe that he made a brine by stirring salt into water in a crock until it would float a couple of raw eggs. Then brine the meat chunks for 3 weeks. Then smoke for around 8 hours. After that just hang and let dry. Depending on the size chunks this can take up to 4 weeks. After it is pretty firm slice it really thin. It is salty but good.

• Also, I’m thinking you probably wouldn’t want to inject fat in this kind of dried meat. Kind of like jerky and might not turn out the best in the end product.

• @parksider What is your recipe and procedure?

• @doc_craig with Dry Cured meats, most is usually pork because the fat is much better then beef fat. That’s why I want to inject the PORK fat into a large loin…“Lomo” and see if I get some good results like a Copa.

• Regular Contributors

@demmerich I just started curing meat and have only done soppersatta so far not any whole muscle. I haven’t seen injecting lard in any of the things i have read though. I am going to try making lomo after capicola. Let me know how it turns out if you end up doing that.

• @Joe-Hell i like the last part…cuz I am a Bachelor and I can. I am in the process of making a cantina room in my basement off a window well so I can add a AC to adjust to whatever Temps I want or need it for.

Recent Posts

• @Ernie I don’t have a particular recipe but I did make brats with ‘The Sausage King of Walla Walla’ using Walla Walla Sweet Onion juice. He was a notorious sausage maker in my area and only made one type…Sweet Onion. For small batches he would grate or mince the onions fine and squeeze out the excess water and use that for flavoring. Larger batches he would source the liquid from processors.

I would suggest using one of the Excalibur brat seasonings as a base and play around with the juice.

read more
  • T

very nice, you look a little twisted lol

read more
  • L

Smoking sausage EE5F3085-C804-4215-880D-D6256A2AF57A.jpeg

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

10 users active right now (1 members and 9 guests).
Maypo, Jonathon, craigrice, chrisndee2, KansasDad, Joe Hell, Tucson Bill

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 5.4k posts in 1.2k topics.
We currently have 4.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, brettbutler186.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.