Seasoning & Additives: 201 Deer and Wild Game Rinse

• Walton's Employee

![0_1551129861681_w-1100x1100.jpg](Uploading 100%)

Seasoning and Additives

![0_1551129791442_w-1100x1100.jpg](Uploading 100%)

Seasoning & Additives: 201 Deer and Wild Game Rinse

Attend this entry level class from Meatgistics University by watching the video, reading the article and post any questions you have!

Safety Plate
    Safety Plate

Why Use Deer & Wild Game Rinse?

You might be way out in the field or you might want to take your big old buck for someone else to see before you begin processing it. While this isn’t always going to cause issues you are giving harmful bacteria more time to grow during this stage. In the field it can be difficult to control your environment, one thing that you can do to slow the growth of bacteria and mold is to lower the pH of the carcass. Acidic environments make it harder for most bacteria to survive or at least slows their rate of growth

How it Works

Aside from Citric Acid which is used to achieve a lower pH, it also has Sodium benzoate which is bacteriostatic and fungistatic, so it is a chemical agent that helps stop the growth of bacteria and fungus. It also has Sodium Bisulfite which actually can help prevent oxidation, so your meat will not brown as quickly.

Inexpensive Cost

Deer & Wild Game Rinse is inexpensive, you mix 8 oz to a gallon of water, so you will have a gallon of spray for around $3.50. If you premix a batch of this in a squirt bottle you can give yourself an extra level of protection by spraying the carcass everywhere, paying special attention to the area around the wound. For a 32 oz bottle like this one, you would need to mix in 2 oz of the Deer and Wild Game Rinse to get the correct concentration.

Differences With & Without Rinse

I know people who think they can look at a piece of meat and tell whether it is spoiling or not. While there might occasionally be some visual cues, very often there aren’t any. I sprayed one of these pieces of meat with the deer and wild game and the other I sprayed nothing on. Then I used a vacuum bag and sealed them but did not pull a vacuum on them.
    At this point, these have been sitting out at room temperature for 2 weeks in a sealed bag. And as you can see they aren’t showing any extreme signs of having spoiled, no major discoloring or mold growth. One thing you can see on the meat we did not spray is some white slimy stuff growing on it. The meat we did spray with deer and wild game rinse does not look slimy and doesn’t appear to be growing any mold on it.

Shop waltonsinc.com for Deer & Wild Game Rinse

Shop waltonsinc.com for Additives

• @jonathon I wanted to try your hot dog seasoning,I watched the video on that snd he recommended adding a few other things,what are they for? And can I buy a smaller amount of the clear casings?

Recent Posts

• @Joe-Hell
    It is good.
    We like to serve a chub on a small bed of rice next to 4-5 bang bang shrimp.

Everyone loves it.

read more
  • T

Hi All, Im New to the Group, I am wondering which class of NTEP scale is necessary for measuring sure cure per haccp protocol. It looks like these scales are rated as I,II,III class and very in price dramatically

read more
  • C

@Joe-Hell
    thanks for the info, I had not heard of this until 3 years ago and I think the reason it was brined was to cure or preserve it while
    frozen. A friend of a friend makes these after hunting season so they can be taken out of the freezer and sliced up for snacks and they are fantastic but he wont share the recipe. When they are unthawed even after many months they are still perfect.
    Have you tried freezing any portion and is it still as good when first made?

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

12 users active right now (0 members and 12 guests).
Joe Hell

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 5.0k posts in 1.1k topics.
We currently have 4.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, dosmondson.
The most users online at one time was 119 on Wed Apr 10 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.