Willie's Snack Sticks

• No question but just an update/topic. Making some snack sticks this weekend and doing a few things different.

5 pound batch with Willie’s Seasoning. First time using this seasoning.

61% whitetail venison and 39% ground pork.

Cut the ends off the tubes of venison and inverted them until all the blood ran out. Trying to reduce the iron taste in previous sticks. Then mixed real good together and let sit a day in the fridge.

Got the correct amount of Willies and Cure - but there was no direction on what quantity of water to use. So I used 1 ounce of water per pound of meat - or 5 ounces.

Also, just for kicks I added one tablespoon of liquid smoke. I know, heresy.

Mixed well and long (by hand) and stuffed into 17 mm casings and stored them in the fridge overnight.

My oven wont really cooperate at low temps. So these are in the Nesco Dehydrator at 115 F for an hour and then bumped up 10 degrees an hour until it maxes out at 155 … then I will have to finish them in the oven to get to a safe internal temp.

Have them on 5 out the 6 trays with the bottom tray holding some saucers of water.

So, that’s my Saturday.

• When I was hunting and feeding my Family on game meat (Antelope and Mule Deer), a friend gave us an antelope roast.
    It was superior to any I’d had. I asked him how he prepped it.

He told me of how he did a 24 hour salt water soak of the animal.
    Quarter it up, in a clean bathtub, put the quarters in and cover with cold water. Add 1 cup of salt over the submerged meat.
    Change the water each 8 hours (3 times) for 24 hours. Then process for the freezer.

It soaks all the blood out, and leaves the meat very, very good tasting. Not salty at all.
    We all enjoyed the game meat after learning that trick.
    Antelope is particularly gamie tasting. The soak completely neutralized that taste.

You may want to try it.

• pauliedmondsjr great top. We do the same with hogs, especially boars. We use a clean large cooler and debone at least the hind quarters. All small pieces for sausage go into a cleaned crawfish sack and then in the cooler. I use pre-chilled water, ice and salt, change the water once a day. Since the water is very cold due to the salt, we can do this for 5 - 7 days. The meat is very mild tasting. We don’t like to waste animals we kill, great way to process even large hogs.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Thanks for the information on your process. Draining all the blood will help for sure with some of the iron taste. I’m intrigued by using the dehydrator before the smoker/oven if it won’t go that low. I especially like it because it is going to be just about perfect for your initial drying phase which would normally be dampers wide open, but being in a dehydrator would be even better for that. I think we get to a point though where adding more and more and more steps to a cook cycle might get a little absurd, at least for some people, the more I can tinker the more I like something!

On a related note did anyone see the recent study where they took either elk or deer and put it through traditional slaughterhouse processing and took a cattle and did home processing techniques? Apparently, it reversed with people thinking the cattle was the wild game and vice versa, now, who knows who was funding this “study” but I found it interesting, if I can find the article I will put it in Tuesdays blog post.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size