a little confused on cure accelerators

• a little confused on cure accelerators
    If I am making a batch of say Lebanon bologna or snack sticks
    would I use Sure Cure and Sodium Erythorbate and Encapsulated Citric Acid
    or is it sure cure and ONE of the others …
    is there harm to be done using both Sodium Erythorbate and Encapsulated Citric Acid together

tried using sure cure and smoked meat stabilizer on a snack stick recipe and was not happy with end result
    meat lost most of the seasoning taste and turned gray . same seasoning just using sure cure
    was more flavorful and nice red color

• @deerslayer
    I asked the same question. If you look at my thread @johnathon and @lamurscrappy answered some questions I had

• Ok i’m new to the site. Will look around
    Thanks

• @deerslayer
    Me too, (to asking questions) but after looking through some threads there’s a ton of excellent info here

• @deerslayer
    It shouldn’t be to hard to find I posted it a few days ago

• Cure accelerator is used by commercial processors… It is used in place of letting the meat rest in the refer, while the cure does it’s job and flavors mingle with the meat… It converts nitrite to nitric oxide to speed up the curing process due to lack of space for conventional curing practice…
    As home processors, it is my belief to not speed up anything when making home sausage… time is your friend… depth of flavor comes with the dehydration process… dry aging like a good steak…
    IMO, if you are in a hurry, buy the krap sausage they sell in the store… you don’t know what’s in it… could be any part of any animal… ears, nose, skin, thymus… anything that fits into the USDA parameters…

• Walton's Employee

@DeerSlayer Something happened when you used the smoked meat stabilizer as there is no reason it should have negatively affected the color of the meat. Like @daveomak says, extra time can add depth of flavor and depending on how sensitive your pallet is you might notice a difference when using a cure accelerator (if you use Citric Acid that you will absolutely taste a difference) but the meat should turn brownish grey before smoking but give you a nice red finished product after smoking.

Can you give me a little more information on your process when you used the Smoked Meat Stabilizer?

• daveomak and Jonathon thanks for the responses .
    most of my supplies come from Waltons been pleased with the service and products so far
    love the Lebanon bologna and the Pepperoni spice mixes
    I have done several batches using the sure cure and citric acid (and all turned out well) so yes I am familiar with the tangy added taste using ECA
    as for the problem sticks some info

My snack stick recipe
    3 lbs pork butt 1 lbs of deer (gives me approx. 30% fat)
    16oz ice water
    1tsp insta-cure
    .32 oz of smoked meat stabilizer (8oz to 100 lbs per bag instructions) so .08 x 4 =.32 Please check my math on this
    4tsp salt
    1TBS brown sugar
    1tsp ground mustard
    2tsp whole mustard seed
    1tsp coarse ground black pepper - add more if you like pepper taste
    2tsp white ground pepper - substitute with black pepper if you dont have this
    1TBS Paprika
    1tsp onion powder - more or less to taste
    1tsp garlic powder - more or less to taste

If you like it hot add the following
    2TBS crushed red pepper
    2TBS ground cayenne pepper - more or less to taste

mix all spices and cure#1 and 16oz of ice cold water into ground beef until mixed through.
    Stuff in casings
    place into smoker at125 degrees DOOR OPEN, NO smoke for one hour to dry casings,
    then 140 DOOR Closed add smoke for 1hr ,
    then 150 for one hr with smoke then raise heat to 180 until an internal temp of 152 to 160 degrees,
    place into ice cold water for 20 minutes
    then bloom sticks at room temperature for 2 hrs
    Then refrigerate in a brown paper bag

• @deerslayer said in a little confused on cure accelerators:

daveomak and Jonathon thanks for the responses .
    most of my supplies come from Waltons been pleased with the service and products so far
    love the Lebanon bologna and the Pepperoni spice mixes
    I have done several batches using the sure cure and citric acid (and all turned out well) so yes I am familiar with the tangy added taste using ECA
    as for the problem sticks some info
    My snack stick recipe
    3 lbs pork butt 1 lbs of deer (gives me approx. 30% fat)
    16oz ice water
    .8 tsp insta-cure
    .32 oz of smoked meat stabilizer (8oz to 100 lbs per bag instructions) so .08 x 4 =.32 Please check my math on this
    4tsp salt
    1TBS brown sugar
    1tsp ground mustard
    2tsp whole mustard seed
    1tsp coarse ground black pepper - add more if you like pepper taste
    2tsp white ground pepper - substitute with black pepper if you dont have this
    1TBS Paprika
    1tsp onion powder - more or less to taste
    1tsp garlic powder - more or less to taste
    If you like it hot add the following
    2TBS crushed red pepper
    2TBS ground cayenne pepper - more or less to taste
    mix all spices and cure#1 and 16oz of ice cold water into ground beef until mixed through.
    Stuff in casings
    place into smoker at125 degrees DOOR OPEN, NO smoke for one hour to dry casings,
    then 140 DOOR Closed add smoke for 1hr ,
    then 150 for one hr with smoke then raise heat to 180 until an internal temp of 160 degrees,
    place into ice cold water for 20 minutes
    then bloom sticks at room temperature for 2 hrs
    Then refrigerate in a brown paper bag

• Just wanted to give an update … I switched up to a meat mix of 50% deer 50% pork butt . Eliminated the liquid smoke
    now grinding twice , mixing spices and sure cure.
    refrigerate for approx. 6 hrs
    then stuff in casings and refrigerate overnight
    in the morning smoke according to waltons schedule
    last 2 batches have come out awesome
    many thanks

• @DeerSlayer i guess i never replied to this thread even though i was mentioned! Sorry about that!
    Glad things are turning out great! Just an FYI you could probably just stuff right away into casings, it will make it much eaiser for you then after 6 hours then resting again! Also im a huge supporter of sodium erthorbate as an accelerator. It will make your snack sticks look better and last longer!

• Walton's Employee

@DeerSlayer Yes, absolutely stuff first and then let rest, you can blow out the gears on a stuffer if your meat rests first and then gets set up before stuffing. Also @DeerSlayer the only thing I will say about Sodium Erythorbate is that if you are doing small batches you need a HYPER ACCURATE scale because you use 7/8 (.875) of an ounce for 100 lb of meat, so if you are doing a 10 lb batch that is .0875 of an oz of sodium erythorbate and that is a tiny amount for most home scales to measure.

• The sodium erthorbate speeds up the action of the nitrite… Without it, your sticks will take about 12 hours to do what the erthorbate does in one hour…
    I have no idea what the “smoked meat stabilizer” does… I’d try a batch without it… I’ve never thought of using it… It’s probably designed for commercial use…
    Erthorbate should only be used in a liquid injection, like ham… not in ground meat…

• Power User

@Jonathon Reloading scales might work.

• @Jonathon so generally speaking 1 tsp does 10lbs and 1/2 tsp does 5lbs. That would be an easier way to measure it out for small batches.

• lamurscrappy Google says .0875 equals 1/2 teaspoon…so 1/ teaspoon for 10 lbs and 1/4 teaspoon for 5 lbs
    someone else please check it and post back

• This post is deleted!

• @DeerSlayer 7/8 of an ounce is 24.81grams for 100lb so divide by 4= 6.2025 grams for 25lb divide by 5= 1.2405 grams for 5lb if my math is right, so then .2481 grams per lb

• @DeerSlayer guessing you’ll have to use a grams scale IMG_1642.PNG

• @DeerSlayer yes that’s what I got too 1/4 teaspoon for 5lb and 1/2 teaspoon for 10lb. I thought about using a gram scale but I remembered my scale only does whole numbers for grams

• @blackbetty61 I don’t have a nice one like on “Gold Rush” 😂

• Regular Contributors

Best method for mixing items that require highly accurate, small quantity measurement is to pre- mix them in larger quantities with appropriate amounts of sea salt and other standard ingredients that you use for all your brines.
    So, if you are doing a 10 lb run of meat, mix enough brine to process 100 lbs and store the 90% that you do not immediately need…

My only question is would it be appropriate to store vacuum sealed… should I place it in the freezer for long term storage?

• Walton's Employee

@raider2119 We are talking about before they are mixed with water right? I would suggest vacuum packing, freezing might cause it to clump up.

• Regular Contributors

@Jonathon Exactly, just a mix of salt and cure, possibly sugar as well… just the primary items necessary for brine or cure that remain as constant proportions for most any project… Mixing a larger batch will allow an easier mix of a low volume item such as cure… Are there any items, that could possibly activate and should NOT be added prior to use (Possibly citric acid)?

• Walton's Employee

@raider2119 First, just to cover myself here, I’m not sure I’d recommend this just because of the possibility of contaminating the mixture with something that would activate the cure. I don’t think that would happen but anything is possible. Stay away from anything with impurities like iron or copper in it, those might activate the cure and by the time you go to use it might no longer be viable. Anything that is too low (acidic) or even too high (alkaline) on the pH scale could have an effect.

Sea salt is safe as sugar. Are there specific things you are wondering or worried about?

Recent Posts

• @crismccarthy Even though I’ve had some issues with my new Masterbuilt 40 I’d still recommend them. The company has been very easy to deal with and more than willing to send replacement parts. I just received a new cabinet yesterday. I have enough extra parts now that I might be able to homebrew an entire new smoker or rebuild one of my dead soldiers

7DC00819-A094-4316-8678-E96526F901B8.jpeg

read more
  • T

I put in a pound to 15 lbs meat with willies mix… Everyone loves it but they all say its hot. Well that what I was going for lol. We all like that mix pretty well.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

17 users active right now (0 members and 17 guests).

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 4.9k posts in 1.1k topics.
We currently have 4.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, rmiller302.
The most users online at one time was 119 on Wed Apr 10 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.