Water in my sticks

• I am fairly new to the world of stick making so I’m still unsure of a few things. Today I made a batch (10 lbs) of sticks. I use an ounce of water per pound. These were all beef. After they got up to temp (165) I removed them and put them in ice water and usually I leave them in the ice/water for about ten to fifteen minutes but today I was in no hurry and it probably ended up being about half an hour or so. When drying them so I could cut them to length I noticed they had what seemed to be water under the casing in a lot of them. I use collagen casings. Did I do something wrong? Will the water evaporate out if I let them set for a day or two before vacuum sealing them? Could this be because they sat in the ice bath for that long? Hope it doesn’t affect the sticks too bad. Thanks for any helpful suggestions

• I just made a 5 pound batch today and I used 7.5 ounces of water for 5 pounds … more than I ever used and noticed no difference. I also added 1.6 ounces of dry milk for 5 pounds. When I say no difference I mean no negative difference. I am using venison and 20% pork and Willie’s Snack Seasoning.

• Walton's Employee

@Doug-Kapfenstein I’d think your biggest issue is that you cooked to 165 with beef when 160 would have been perfectly fine. That 5 degrees might not sound like much but it probably took you at least half an hour to get to that temp and that can have an effect. As to why they were allowing water between the casing and the meat I would imagine that is a protein extraction issue, if you don’t get a good bind you can let the fat render out of the meat and it gets trapped between the casing and the meat which would allow water to get in there as well.

You wont really know until you try them though! It might be a purely cosmetic issue and the texture and taste might be spot on.

Recent Posts

• D

I got ready to place an order an noticed many of the seasonings you carry are only available in quantities to mix 100# batches. Why are the batches so large? I make most of my summer sausage from a venison and pork mix after we’ve taken the cuts for steaks, made our ground and canned a few quarts. That being said doesn’t leave a lot for sausages, thus a 100# mix could last me years.
    Am I missing something?

read more
  • R

Thanks. Will start small before going big

read more
  • C

@RayStripling I would recommend using the powder and not the salt as it might make the end results to salty as for how much that is a matter of taste but remember you can add more at the end when you serve it but you cannot take it away.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

26 users active right now (2 members and 24 guests).
sparky, peterdsusa, tbone 30

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 9.5k posts in 1.6k topics.
We currently have 6.9k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, tbone 30.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.