Sauerkraut

• Regular Contributors

Does anyone get into making sauerkraut? I have been doing it since I was a young boy in an old fashion crock. Now i do a batch in a 10 gallon crock and a batch in a fermentation pot. Hard to tell a difference in taste because they are both so good!0_1550789965086_20181215_132017.jpg
    0_1550789991507_20181215_140056.jpg
    0_1550790233337_20181215_141914-3024x2268.jpg

• Power User

I just started making my own kraut within the last year. I can’t imagine buying store bought again unless I run out. I use 1 gallon fermentation jars from Midwest Supplies…they also work as excellent small batch beer fermenters. Are you packaging them to freeze? I have also been making mustard as it seemed like a natural pairing for the brats and kraut!

0_1550791223097_58EB9C72-F01E-489B-B622-165045655C00.jpeg

0_1550791358833_6A1F4554-AC11-4506-A6B4-CC8EBE60F134.jpeg

• Regular Contributors

@joe-hell yes I package about 64 quarts a year and freeze the majority of them. I usually give away about 58 quarts, there are alot of people that love some homeade sauerkraut! Your kraut looks awesome! I have a buddy from Poland that makes his in gallon batches too. I never tried making small batches before. He said his takes about 2 to 3 weeks. In my crocks I let them go for about 2 months.

• Power User

@deplorablenc1 That’s good to know about freezing it! I’m running about 4 weeks on a batch. I throw in mustard and caraway seeds as well as bay leaf and a few juniper berries for spice. There isn’t much to it but it’s definitely worth the wait. I’ll hold my next batch a bit longer to gauge the results.

• Regular Contributors

@joe-hell freezing it is the only way I have found that the crunch and flavor stays with the kraut. I have tried canning it but that gets too mushy.

• Power User

@deplorablenc1 I haven’t tried canning as of yet but I jar them up and keep them in the fridge and they stay crisp for months. The draw back is they take up a lot of room

• Walton's Employee

@deplorablenc1 and @Joe-Hell Great post, I am going to start trying to make some and using it with Reuben Brat Seasoning and it is going to be awesome! We have to start a rule, whenever you are responding to Joe Hell your first word MUST be yes, so it is Hell Yes! Same thing with when @blackbetty61 posts, someone should be required to post bambalam!

• Regular Contributors

@jonathon I never used a seasoning making my kraut. My method is 5lbs of cabbage and 3 tablespoons of salt and repeat… this turns the best sauerkraut in my opinion.

• Power User

@jonathon I used homemade kraut in my Reuben brats and it was great! Pairing it with the Reuben seasoning could only make it better

• I have been making kraut for quite a few years, I pressure can mine.

• We make sauerkraut and can’t imagine why anyone would not give it a try. We’ve tried both the old stone crock method and canning in individual jars. They are both good however everyone in our family seemed to prefer the crock method. That being said this years kraut didn’t turn out very well with our crock. One year, after our kraut fermented we froze half and canned half. There wasn’t any noticeable difference so we pretty much opted to go with canning. Mainly because living in a rural area if a major storm comes through you’re not as high priority as the larger metro areas. We’ve experienced a couple close calls with freezers. Those old jars that have been passed down from generation to generation don’t care about electricity.
    Good Stuff!

• Hell Yes Joe, I’d be interested in your recipes? both Kraut and mustard.
    Appreciated,
    Billy

• Do you have a recipe to share?

• @talleyho4 said in Sauerkraut:

Do you have a recipe to share?

Are you asking me?

• @deplorablenc1 We make it in quart jars using zinc lids. 50 lbs of cabbage makes about 35 quarts.

• Power User

@talleyho4 I don’t have any particular recipes for either. Most kraut recipes are virtually the same…pickling salt is a must. Many recipes call for the addition of caraway, mustard seed, bay leaf and juniper berries but using nothing but salt and cabbage is great too. Mustard recipes are similar in that they all have mustard seed (either ground or whole), vinegar, salt and often sugar. Many will also call for wine or beer and possibly fresh herbs. My last batch had local honey and fresh rosemary and thyme from my garden. I just google for ideas until I get a flavor profile in my head that inspires and go from there. If your mustard is heated during the process it will produce a milder version than one that is prepared cold…such as a ‘Chinese’ style mustard. I suggest trying that one first.

Buying mustard seed from a local grocery might be kinda spendy so I’d suggest buying from bulk at Walton’s. These are a great deal and a good place to start!

https://www.waltonsinc.com/ground-mustard-5lb-bag

https://www.waltonsinc.com/whole-mustard-5-lb-bag

• i make kraut every year also many years now about the same as deplorablenc1 15 gal crock i only ad canning salt the result you can’t buy in a store. i shave 18 to 20 large heads in my crock i use 2 qts canning salt add a little every couple inches keep smashing it down with a 2" maple stick till you get to the top should have lots of juice i cut a piece of sani plast cutting board to just fit my crock put on top place my secret 10 to 15 lb rock on top cover with cheese cloth keep close to 70 degrees skim fluid almost every day you can wait a few days 3 to 4 weeks mine is done. just dig down a little and taste go to your liking the longer you leave it the stronger it gets. the time varies on the temp. the flavor is all in the secret rock LOL. i give away lots of kraut every one likes it. i hot water bath can mine never had it mushy yet but i’ll try freezing some and see. want a good recipe let me know to die for called kraut buns might not sound good but WOW.

• Regular Contributors

@kelly cabbage and salt! That’s what I always say too! Sounds lot like me, give away about 90% but nothing is better than homeade kraut!

5 lbs cabbage
    3 tbsp salt

Mix and stomp!

• Or crock recipe is the same. A layer of cabbage and add salt and continue this process until finished. We haven’t stomped (bruised) our cabbage in the past but have decided to bruise it with our next batch.

The jar method recipe we used Is from the TV show Tim Farmers Country Kitchen. It turned out very good too and is simpler than the crock method. We liked the crock method best but that may have been in our head because that’s the “old fashioned” way.

Here is a link to the Tim Farmers Country Kitchen recipe. You will have to scroll or watch just past the bee keeping segment to view it. There’s also a very old pickle recipe on the first secment. Interesting because it uses an oak leaf in the ingredients.
    https://youtu.be/3zQkgXkJQAo

• @Joe-Hell
    thank you- received my 1 gallon jars with airlocks this week and making this weekend!!!

• @kelly
    thank you- received my 1 gallon jars with airlocks this week and making this weekend!!!

• Power User

@Talleyho4 awesome! I hope it works out for you!

Recent Posts

• @PapaSop These don’t suck one bit!

9B3AE042-B737-4C8D-B3F7-D1E822C39079.jpeg

read more
  • T

@PapaSop im not impressed, those welds are terrible and doesnt appear to have good penetration. Also if i can give some advice to the manufacturer of the blades where it is welded should not be a flat welding on round stock. Cut a half moon in the flat stock so it slides over the round stock by half of of it. This will give alot better stability and welded surface

read more
  • T

@PapaSop im wondering what your smoking/cooking schedule was. Thinking maybe cooked too fast? Also i never use a binder in mine. Yes they were wrinkled but we dont have the wet bulb option as the big processors do to maintain moisture

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

17 users active right now (0 members and 17 guests).

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 5.4k posts in 1.1k topics.
We currently have 4.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jgaa13.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.