Carrot or other binders for fresh sausage?

• I just picked up 30# of boneless Boston Butt at Aldi (gotta love a $1.29 per # sale) and I plan on making 15 #'s of fresh brats and hot Italian sausage. I have recently used the Carrot binder on some Cajun smoked sausage with great success but was wondering if a binder is needed or recommended for fresh sausage. I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered 100 times on this forum and I was not able to find it. Does anybody have any thoughts on the matter?

• Admin

@rjsenk There is no need to use a binder when making a fresh pork sausage.
    Only time I have or would use binders in a fresh sausage is when making a low-fat chicken sausage. Any other fresh sausage, and there really isn’t a need for a binder.

• Hi Austin,
    If you do not use the binder for fresh sausage!! How do you get the moisture effect ?

Linda Pool
    Chef Owner
    Bistroplus

• Walton's Employee

@linda-pool When you say moisture effect, I assume you are asking how to keep it moist? You can add some water to fresh brats to help mix all the seasoning into the meat evenly but I wouldn’t add a lot, the fat content and the water in the meat should be enough to keep it feeling nice and moist. If you are having an issue where your fresh sausage is coming out dry then I would guess your issue would be either with your initial meat block (not enough fat) or your cooking process.

Having said all of that, you can use carrot fiber in fresh sausage (I have done it in the past as a test) but it shouldn’t really be necessary. If you are wanting to add something from the binder category then Carrot Fiber is the correct one as it is really a moisture enhancer more than anything else!

Hope this helped, let us know if we missed the point of your question?

• @Austin Thanks @Austin. I was leaning towards no binders (I have never used them in the past, but then again, I didn’t have a few packages laying around either - lol). I just wanted to double-check. Thanks again!!

Recent Posts

• Unless your grinding frozen chunks or large pieces of meat their really is no reason to do that. Its not going to really hurt anything if you do though. But for a small grind with a smaller grinder just cut the pieces smaller so they feed through better.

read more
  • Try sticking them in your fridge for a few days to dry out a bit more. Uncovered.

read more
  • C

@pigman34 I vacuum seal 1 year no problems

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

15 users active right now (3 members and 12 guests).
rreiss21, keiratayor, Snake River Smokers, Kmucker

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 9.5k posts in 1.6k topics.
We currently have 6.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, keiratayor.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.