Hot water bath collagen casings snack sticks?

• Masterbuilt

Anybody tried a hot water bath after smoking snack sticks in collagen casings to finish them. I have searched many forums, haven’t found a good answer.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Doob46 It has been done with Summer Sausage and there are numerous articles on it, here is a good post from gadahl Summer Sausage Nightmare that talks about doing it with Summer Sausage.

If you are asking about snack sticks specifically because of the collagen casings I would think you need to put it in a bag to protect the casings, but I have no actual proof behind that, other than collagen casings dont stand up to being boiled.

It seems like a lot of people put the sausage right into the water and I have never been able to do that, something was blocking me mentally. I think I figured it out, I use a Sous Vide cooker and the oils and any bits of meat would be sucked into the Sous Vide unit and cause issues!

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size