How to make a curing chamber

• A friend is dumping a non working upright freezer so I want to make a curing chamber out of it. I have seen some pretty fancy and costly ways to convert it, but the easiest and most low cost seems to be using a line voltage thermostat hooked up to some kind of heater, maybe just an incandescent light bulb and a small humidifier, also hooked up to a line voltage humidistat.
    It will be in my basement, and the temperature never gets up above 65, but it does get down to around 38 in the winter.
    Anybody have any do’s or don’t for this type of set up?
    Thanks,
    ane

• Regular Contributors

@Ed_Orum not sure non-working is the way you want to go. If you are trying to cure at a high of 55 and it is 65 you will need the compressor to cool your enclosure. Anyway, I bought to Inkbird controllers one for temp and one for humidity. They both have 2 working outputs that are just plug in so for temp I have the fridge plugged in and then I cut a hole in the bottom and added a lightbulb to heat it and it does a great job when I do the initial 80 degrees for 12 hours. The humidity control i have a humidifier plugged in to one with a tube into the enclosure and a dehumidifier on the inside. Tip here is make sure the units you buy have a switch for on off not a button or they will not automatically turn on once they are triggered off. I bought a small computer fan that I plug in when the dehumidifier runs to. Good luck! It is alot of fun to have a curing set up!
    20190309_200319-1209x1612.jpg 20190309_200325-1209x1612.jpg

Recent Posts

• Unless your grinding frozen chunks or large pieces of meat their really is no reason to do that. Its not going to really hurt anything if you do though. But for a small grind with a smaller grinder just cut the pieces smaller so they feed through better.

read more
  • Try sticking them in your fridge for a few days to dry out a bit more. Uncovered.

read more
  • C

@pigman34 I vacuum seal 1 year no problems

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

14 users active right now (2 members and 12 guests).
rreiss21, keiratayor, Snake River Smokers, Kmucker

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 9.5k posts in 1.6k topics.
We currently have 6.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, keiratayor.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.