DIY smoker remodel

• Just renovated my home built smoker.
    electric 220 VAC. 5400 watt heating element and completely controld remotely by my cell phone from anywhere i have cell service. It will even send me a text or e mail when the meat is done No more babysitting for me.
    20190309_111351.jpg 20190309_092811.jpg 20190309_092818.jpg 20190309_092831.jpg 20190309_092614.jpg 20190310_101256.jpg 20190310_101119.jpg 20190309_174352.jpg

• Power User

@rhjbarney Impressive!!!

• Regular Contributors

@rhjbarney nice! That is a cool use of technology. I usually sit by my smoker and watch it for 8 hours with a case of beer.

• This post is deleted!

• Walton's Employee

@rhjbarney That is an awesome set up! Do you have dampers on either side of the top of just one central damper? Meat Cigars, nice thick old snack sticks?

• Looks really nice… What are you using for smoke generating?

• @deplorablenc1

Ha, Ha, I still have my beer on hand.
    I do remote monitoring. I have 3 different thermometers that remotely report what’s going on. (But I usually only use one of them at a time.)
    But now I sit at the computer, or TV, and watch the temperatures.
    But I’m not one to go traipsing off shopping for underwear or other items while cooking.

Beer is an important safety accessory for BBQing. It is important to have a “cold one” on hand in case of burned fingers.
    You can immediately grab your cold can of beer to take the heat out of a burned finger.
    Beer has natural anesthetic properties, and can have a numbing effect before the actual accidental burning. So there is that two-fold advantage of cold beer in hand.
    A side effect of Beer at the BBQ is it can make you more entertaining to your guests. Especially if they, too, imbibe.
    So the next time your spouse complains about having beer with your Bar-B-Que, point out the safety advantages of cold beer on hand.
    To me, being safety conscience, it was important enough to put my Curing/Beer Fridge at my Outdoor Kitchen. Because I find my beer has a tendency to evaporate. So having more on hand where it is apt to be needed quickly made sense.
    And the little fridge is a good place to put my smoked Bacon to age after smoking to mellow out. Having a ballast of 12 ounce mini kegs for temperature balance, the mini kegs also take on the wonderful aroma of smoked bacon.

I think having separate monitoring is better because if it fails, replacing the thermal probe, or the entire thermometer is better than fiddling with built in sorts of units.

• Power User

@pauliedmondsjr Truer words have never been spoken!

• Regular Contributors

@pauliedmondsjr I think I will print this reply and post it at our next bbq!

• @deplorablenc1 The only way!🍺

• @Jonathon Thanks no dampers I’ve been thinking about putting one on but so far everything comes out good .about 30 minutes into the drying phase i just open the top door for about 30 seconds.

• @woodchuck777 the original 110 VAC heating element is still in there with a pan that sits over the top of it .it was meant to put water in to keep food moist but i fill it up with wood chips and turn it on when ready for the smoke.

• @rhjbarney

Interesting. I ripped the guts out of my two Masterbuilts because the gap between the chip pan and the element failed to keep the wood chips smoldering.
    But going to a modification has allowed perfect smoke control, and perfect temperature control.

The word Perfect being used very ambiguously here. Nothing is perfect, that is why engineering spec sheets are nice. It gives you the tolerances outside of middle of the broad brush strokes.
    Most “Consumer Grade” anything is going to be ballpark at best. And bare in mind that ballparks have fields of room for errors.

• @pauliedmondsjr 10 4 Ck out FireBoard.com is the remote thermometer i am using as the brains of my smoker.

• @rhjbarney
    But does it actually control the heater element? I think the Fireboard’s do that. But like asking an owner.
    I use a PID for the temperature, then one of 3 thermo units to watch the temperatures.
    (Unless I’m doing Bacon slabs, in that case I have one in each slab, and one or two “grate” probes going. If any probes go hooey, it’s a simple fix. Which I’d imagine is an easy fix for you as well.)

• @pauliedmondsjr
    the fireboard does it all up to 6 probes and whichever one you designate smoker you go into the drive settings and set your max temperature down to the tenths of a degree and when temp is below the drive comes on and whe temp reaches set drive shuts off. Fireboard is designed to control a fan for wood or charcoal smokers but the wheels in my head started to turn and instead of the drive cable controlling a fan i connected the drive cable to a relay which switches my heating element on and off.and if you set a max temperature on the meat probe fireboard will send you a txt and email when it has been reached absolutely no baby sitting my first test smoke ran flawless.Screenshot_20190312-165944_FireBoard.jpg
    The green bars on smoke graph show when heating element was on and how long.

Recent Posts

• D

@rhjbarney good idea,

read more
  • @Joe-Hell working in a butcher shop???
    That could be dangerous!! Look out Walla Walla. 😂😁

read more
  • @dennishoddy
    Thanks for the info. Since my grinds are typically 25# or less and I put the head and meat in the freezer prior. I’ve never had an issue with sticking or smearing. Was curious on the ice paks though.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

9 users active right now (0 members and 9 guests).
Austin, ciszzco, chrisndee2, kayakingjimmy, Christopher Harris, craigrice, GJSchley, erich52

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 7.0k posts in 1.3k topics.
We currently have 5.3k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Christopher Harris.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.