• pauliedmondsjr
    the fireboard does it all up to 6 probes and whichever one you designate smoker you go into the drive settings and set your max temperature down to the tenths of a degree and when temp is below the drive comes on and whe temp reaches set drive shuts off. Fireboard is designed to control a fan for wood or charcoal smokers but the wheels in my head started to turn and instead of the drive cable controlling a fan i connected the drive cable to a relay which switches my heating element on and off.and if you set a max temperature on the meat probe fireboard will send you a txt and email when it has been reached absolutely no baby sitting my first test smoke ran flawless.Screenshot_20190312-165944_FireBoard.jpg
    The green bars on smoke graph show when heating element was on and how long.

• That’s a sweet set up, was thinking of doing the same type of thing. Do you have any pictures of the relay setup you have? I have easy access to electromechanical relays instead of SSR’s and am curious as to whether one of those would work just as well. My smoker runs off natural gas but I could tie the relay into the thermostat terminals on the gas valve and should achieve the same goal.

• Any more info on this? I’m hoping to do the same thing but I know I’m missing a step. Unsure how to wire up an SSR to the heating element. I get how the Fireboard drive cable can switch the SSR, but most diagrams are using an Auber PID that handles the main voltage.

Do you have another device that handles the main voltage from the plug to the heating element?

• Regular Contributors

Adam Greer said in DIY smoker remodel:

Any more info on this? I’m hoping to do the same thing but I know I’m missing a step. Unsure how to wire up an SSR to the heating element. I get how the Fireboard drive cable can switch the SSR, but most diagrams are using an Auber PID that handles the main voltage.

Do you have another device that handles the main voltage from the plug to the heating element?

An SSR is just a relay switching device. Two of its terminals are wired between the power source and the heating element. The other two terminals are the control terminals that are connected to a PID or other control device that tells the SSR to turn on or off.

Here is a generic diagram that shows how the SSR connect to the element in the smoker I recently built. The SSR is at the bottom.

Smoker Schematic No 2.jpg

• Sous Vide Dry Cured Sausage Traeger Team Blue

That is it!! I vote to ban Paul and Barney. I can’t look at those posts without the urge to drive around the country side where they normally dump defuncts appliances. Gotta love Louisiana

• Regular Contributors

Dr_Pain said in DIY smoker remodel:

That is it!! I vote to ban Paul and Barney. I can’t look at those posts without the urge to drive around the country side where they normally dump defuncts appliances. Gotta love Louisiana

That’s the spirit!
    No home is complete without a repurposed appliance smoker, preferably proudly displayed on your front porch next to the ice chest full of refreshments and a couple of sleeping dogs.
    Got the mental image yet? lol

• Sous Vide Dry Cured Sausage Traeger Team Blue

Paul you are an evil genius! I love you man

• Regular Contributors

I forgot to say, proudly displayed, with your wife’s permission. At least that’s how it works at my house.

• Adam Greer
    I use a solid stat relay

• rhjbarney so is it just a matter of plug to SSR? Nothing in between them? Then the Fireboard to trigger the SSR?

Assume you complete the circuit for the SSR. Do you have an earth on the cabinet itself?

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.