Using a binder

• Wat is the purpose or advantage of using a binder such as carrot fiber in your snack Stix or salami even if using a factory mix such as Excalibur

• Walton's Employee

@huntducks The binder, depending on the one you choose can either increase the water holding capacity of the meat (Carrot Fiber/Super Bind) increase the amount of protein available for extraction and help keep more water int he meat (Sure Gel, Soy Protein) or all Super Bind does both of those but also forms into a gel around the same temp that meat expells its water.

They will also increase your final yield which is one reason you will find them in almost all commercial products. Yes, the commercial processors are using them tomake them have a better Palate Appeal (Thank you @Joe-Hell ) but they also increase the amount of water that they retain, and water is a heck of a lot cheaper than meat!

Recent Posts

• @chippewa just one I’d say it’s probably 1/8 in thick…the one we use is a Hobart though

read more
  • C

@blackbetty61 (Or anyone). do you just have 1 nylon washer on your auger? Or multiple washers? Mine has nothing now. I am sure it was lost before I got it

read more
  • F

You want to get it cooled all the way down before packaging, vacuum packing to prevent condensation from forming. That can cause freezing issues, freezer burn in the future.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

28 users active right now (4 members and 24 guests).
jimmbay1, JimiD440, jgentzler07, onloudstatus, tarp, Pooleral, pepper, woody29, ridgerunner54, Lorne Brown, johowell16

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 9.6k posts in 1.6k topics.
We currently have 6.9k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, wyattcrna.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.