Help with Smoked Turkey Necks.

• I want to smoke some turkey necks this weekend to use as seasoning meat. I want to smoke them at around 165-170° (smoker temp) so I can get maximum smoke before they are cooked internally. I know with sausage you have to cure at these temps. What about turkey necks? Are they safe to smoke without any sort of cure with the pit temp being around 160-170°?

• Walton's Employee

@cayenneman Good question, it is a whole muscle cut so we don’t need to worry about it as much as we would with ground and formed product like sausage. I would still suggest you move your temp up to 180to get them out of the “danger zone” a little faster.

• Power User

@cayenneman That is more like smoking pork butts or brisket. I did a whole wild turkey at 225F and since there is so little fat on them to start with I used it to make a turkey noodle soup and that little bit of extra smoke on the turkey is a game changer! I used the bones to make the stock and it also had a little smokeyness to it, delicious. Don’t be afraid to run the smoker up 225-250F. Just make sure get it warm and dry before putting the smoke to it so it will stick better.

Recent Posts

• T

Hey all, i am gonna be doing a smoked pulled pork for a 4th of July family get together. I bought the soluble Pa’s black bull, butter garlic seasoning, prime rib seasoning, and ultimate pork chop and roast rub. Keep in mind i cant have it spicy for the family members. So i was thinking first with the black bull of using chicken broth to make it injectable instead of water. Also for the rub using the butter garlic, or should i use the ultimate pork rub instead

read more
  • T

@Jonathon you guys have more BALLS than i got

read more
  • G

Cut at bout 1/4" thick.
    Almost everyone over cooks them, makes them rubbery
    Take them out about 20 to 30 seconds after they float depending on thickness, temp. etc.
    They should be very tender.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

7 users active right now (1 members and 6 guests).
pepper, Rogers, strenkarosa

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 6.0k posts in 1.2k topics.
We currently have 5.0k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Roger Sutherland.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.