Masterbuilt 40

• Power User

9787F52E-B202-4A69-98B4-147F2456669F.jpeg

I purchased the MB40 back in December and immediately noticed that it took hours and hours longer than any of my previous MB30 models. I just assumed that it was the weather that was responsible but as the weather warmed I didn’t notice any change. I checked the smoker temps with an oven thermometer, a new dual probe thermometer and the built in probe on the smoker itself. The unit maxes at 275 degrees yet the built in probe showed a temp of 400! The remote for the Masterbuilt showed a temp of 144. The dual probe was 205, and the oven thermometer also around the 200 mark. So…

I called Masterbuilt last Friday and spent over 60 minutes on hold waiting for assistance. Grilling and smoking is a popular weekend activity…I get it. Once I got the rep on the phone she asked the necessary questions and quickly determined that I have a control panel issue and offered to send a new one free of charge.

The new one should arrive next week and I will surely put it to the test. Aside from the long wait time on the phone I am very satisfied with Masterbuilt’s response. I’ll keep you posted on the performance with the new control panel. Hopefully that will solve my woes.

• Regular Contributors

@Joe-Hell I picked up that same smoker the 40 inch at Academy on clearance for 75 bucks! I used it to smoke snack sticks and have had no issues with mine at all. Both the 30 and 40 I run now and work well. Glad to hear they are taking care of the issue at least.

• Power User

@deplorablenc1 Damn…I thought I got a good deal for $175! I’ve used and abused all of my 30’s until they died. They last a couple a couple years before I manage to kill them. Still good bang for the buck…you can almost always find them on sale for a good deal.

• @Joe-Hell
    That’s why I made my own masterbuilt. 20190309_174352.jpg

• @Joe-Hell I bought my 2nd MB40 due to my old MB40 controller going bad during the pre-heating process. I turned it on and went inside to mix a 25lb batch of snack sticks. When I came back out, the controller wouldn’t allow me to adjust the temp. Well, I couldn’t let 25lbs of meat go to waste, so I went to the nearest Academy sports and paid full price. $299
    I repaired the old one, so now I have 2 MB40’s.

• Power User

@rhjbarney I will try that someday! There are some truly ambitious home builds on this site. You do great work!

Recent Posts

• C

@blackbetty61 (Or anyone). do you just have 1 nylon washer on your auger? Or multiple washers? Mine has nothing now. I am sure it was lost before I got it

read more
  • F

You want to get it cooled all the way down before packaging, vacuum packing to prevent condensation from forming. That can cause freezing issues, freezer burn in the future.

read more
  • @chippewa we lost our thrust washer once, in a pinch we just made one outta a 5 gallon bucket lid…I think we still use it like that

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

23 users active right now (2 members and 21 guests).
BarnesAcres, Joe Hell, mjd1973, billwleod, wyattcrna, aleman, jackthelad, Brewer, bpschuebel

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 9.6k posts in 1.6k topics.
We currently have 6.9k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, wyattcrna.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.