no fat added to deer snack sticks

• I just finished grinding, mixing, stuffing and one smoker load of deer pepperoni but decided to try with no added pork since the venison appeared pretty fatty.
    After pulling from smoker, I finished in a water poach bath of 165 degrees to achieve 160 degrees internal temp.
    My taste test proved leaving out pork was a big mistake as it turned out dry and chalky tasting.
    Could I attempt to regrind the cooked sticks including collagin casings and add pork fat with the extra cure and seasonings to taste, then cook again? Will the collagin grind down to be undetected?
    I hate to throw these away if there is a chance for rescue.
    Thanks
    Mike

• Admin

@cariboogold Once the sausage is cooked, you will not be able to regrind and process into sausage again. My best suggestions would be to eat as it is, or get creative on putting them into something else to eat. Maybe try cutting them up and pan frying with scrambled eggs, or cutting up and adding to another food dish like chili…?
    Maybe they would be ok as an add in for another dish, but I would not try to regrind and cook another time.

• OK thanks Austin. I will take that advice and get creative with it. Possibly grind it up into a hash for pizza topping or even in tacos.
    I’ll see
    Thanks guys

Recent Posts

• C

@blackbetty61 (Or anyone). do you just have 1 nylon washer on your auger? Or multiple washers? Mine has nothing now. I am sure it was lost before I got it

read more
  • F

You want to get it cooled all the way down before packaging, vacuum packing to prevent condensation from forming. That can cause freezing issues, freezer burn in the future.

read more
  • @chippewa we lost our thrust washer once, in a pinch we just made one outta a 5 gallon bucket lid…I think we still use it like that

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

23 users active right now (2 members and 21 guests).
BarnesAcres, Joe Hell, mjd1973, billwleod, wyattcrna, aleman, jackthelad, Brewer, bpschuebel

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 9.6k posts in 1.6k topics.
We currently have 6.9k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, wyattcrna.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.