Cherry Hickory Ramano Rub

• Hello everyone, I just wanted to share this with you. I ordered the cherry hickory Romano rub and wanted to try it on some beef. I sliced up some top round, about 2 1/2 lbs. and put the beef in a zip-loc bag and added about 1/2 cup of the rub along with 1/2 cup of beer. after shaking it around to coat the beef I put it in the fridge overnight. the next day i patted the beef to get excess marinade off. I put the beef on the highest rack in the smoker and smoked it with cherry wood for a few hours. This really turned out great. I did not use any cure,but it was eaten within 2 days thats how good it was. let me know what you think.

• Walton's Employee

@veman depending on the heat of smoker you might eventually have an issue where something nasty grows on it during the cooking process but putting that aside this sounds like it would be awesome! You’ve got a lot of brown sugar in that seasoning so that will “caramelize” nicely, youve got natural cherry flavoring and hickory smoke powder, those sound like they would be a great combo with how you marinated and cooked it. What beer did you use? I’d love to see some pictures if you have any left!

I wonder if the beet powder had any other functions besides coloring? Some places have been using beet powder as to accelerate the conversions of nitrite in celery juice powder.

• Sorry, I do not have any pictures this time, but I used Budweiser Freedom Reserve ( Red Lager ) I opened the vent on the smoker 100% . and dried for about 1 hr. @ 170 degrees. I brought the temp up to about 185 and added the cherry wood. I did soak the wood chips for about 15-20 minutes. I smoked for about another hour and then lowered the heat back to 160 degrees. I did not add anymore wood chips I just smoked this way until the strips were firm and not to dry. The total time took about 6 hours. I think next time, I will go another hour. But 6 hours was a pretty good time. I would like to try this again with the Fig and Spiced rum seasoning. I say give it a try. Sorry, i forgot to mention that I have the Masterbuilt electric smoker. Talk to ya soon. and thanks for the response

• Walton's Employee

The fig and run is great on pork, I havent had as good results on beef but it is extremely good on pork, just so you know!

• Good to know, thanks

Recent Posts

• C

@blackbetty61 (Or anyone). do you just have 1 nylon washer on your auger? Or multiple washers? Mine has nothing now. I am sure it was lost before I got it

read more
  • F

You want to get it cooled all the way down before packaging, vacuum packing to prevent condensation from forming. That can cause freezing issues, freezer burn in the future.

read more
  • @chippewa we lost our thrust washer once, in a pinch we just made one outta a 5 gallon bucket lid…I think we still use it like that

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

25 users active right now (1 members and 24 guests).
BarnesAcres, Joe Hell, mjd1973, billwleod, wyattcrna, aleman, jackthelad

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 9.6k posts in 1.6k topics.
We currently have 6.9k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, wyattcrna.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.