Freezing meat

• Regular Contributors

What do you feel is the best way to freeze meat, in particular venison.
    Ground will go in poly bags, but what about whole muscle meats?
    Vacuum sealed, freezer paper, or food film and freezer paper?

• Admin

@Gomez Vacuum sealing is going to be the best way to freeze and preserve meats.

You’re other options are…
    Butcher Paper and a Double Wrapping Film
    Freezer Paper
    Heavy Duty Freezer Paper

Freezer Paper is similar to Butch Paper, but it also includes a layer of polyethylene plastic coating so you don’t have to also use a wrapping film. Butcher paper requires the use of a wrapping film. The HD version of freezer paper just means that the paper and polyethylene coating are both thicker and heavier, about 20% heavier paper and 40% heavier polyethylene coating.

For my opinion, I’d definitely go with the vacuum sealing. You will get a longer freezer life and drastically reduce the chances of freezer burn compared to any other packaging method. The only reason I’d see to not do vacuum sealing is if you don’t have a vacuum sealer and don’t want to invest in one, then you can go with Freezer Paper for a lower entry cost. But it doesn’t provide the same level of protection and it can be more time consuming to wrap everything instead of just throwing it in a vacuum pouch and vacuum sealing it.

• @Gomez I’ve butchered my own venison for probably 20 years and I’ve almost never been disappointed using freezer paper. For years I wrapped in plastic first, then followed that with butcher paper. But one year I ran out of the plastic wrap and just went with butcher paper. Never a problem or a smidge of freezer burn.

I think part of the secret is to learn what I believe is called a “butcher wrap,” which you can learn on YouTube. Another tip is to always press out all the air you can as you wrap. If the freezer paper is tight against the meat and you tape the package up nice and tight, you’ll be fine.

The only thing we don’t do this way is our ground venison. For that, we use freezer-grade Zip-Loc bags and package the “Bambi burger” in one-pound portions.

Good luck!

I thin

• Regular Contributors

Growing up everything was wrapped in freezer paper and it seemed to work well. It won’t be long term storage plus the freezer paper will be easier to write on. Labels don’t stick very well to the plastic vacuum bags and permanent marker is so-so.
    Thanks for the input

• Even with the heaviest HD Freezer Wrap, you are going to start to get some freezer burn if you do not eat it all up within 1 year.

I have found that after meat is stored for a year or more, the quality will go down.

This year, I just bought a new Chamber Vacuum Sealer for which the bags are way cheaper than Suction Style sealers. So, starting next year, I am going to start sealing my sausages in chamber sealer bags.

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.