First batch of Jalapeño snack sticks!

• Great flavor with just the right amount of heat!1DDC5BC8-084B-4F65-9E99-43C01687E2DD.jpeg

• Looks awesome. Thanks for the picture. Did you use a commercial mix, or your own?

• I used the Excalibur Jalapeno Snack Stick Seasoning. They have gotten rave reviews from everyone that has tried them. I usually only do small batches, the Excalibur seasoning is very convenient.

• Walton's Employee

@jsaaz23 Those look great, what was your meat block? I have seen a lot of people recently tying off the end of their snack sticks, if you are using smoked collagen from walton’s that shouldn’t be necessary, the casing should be able to hold the meat in there without the tie. Now, if you are doing it to prevent the little bulb that sometimes appears at the end of a hung snack stick then I understand but it isn’t 100% necessary. If you are doing it for appearance or even just peace of mind then I totally understand!

• @Jonathon I used 80/20 Beef/Pork with 80/20 lean/fat. The strings have really two purposes, one is to hang them from hooks in the smoker and the second is just appearance.

Recent Posts

• @mcherbies I find that when I use carrot fiber I like to use 1.5 qt to 25lbs of meat for snack sticks. It is boarder line too much water but the finished product is top notch and everyone raves at how much moisture is still in my sticks.B7227925-D767-4E00-A5C8-57F1CC3AAF73.jpeg

read more
  • @mcherbies Yeah, 2 quarts of water per 10 lb is going to present a few problems for you for sure. We would recommend 1 qt per 25 lb batch. I’ve done as much as 2 quarts per 25 lb batch and even that was pretty soupy. Now, it DID stuff like a dream, hardly had to turn the crank but it gave me an odd texture…don’t remember if it did anything to the casing or not.

read more
  • M

I will need to take a photo sometime.

I add a lot of water to the product. 10lb batch, maybe 2 quarts of water?!? I don’t measure it. It has to be wet to go through my 30lb stuffer. Even then, it tries to bust my stuffer from the pressure. (need to get a 11lb for the smaller casing stuff).

I don’t know the internal temp when I pulled from smoker.

It is likely due to understuffing as mentioned above. Hope to make more in a coming weeks.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

28 users active right now (3 members and 25 guests).
mydogs1900, robsnotes4u, jim schaeffer, Jonathon, BryanP, mcherbies, Mr Dirt, Unionguy1019, tmeiners82, rhochstetler, Joe Hell, macsinsac

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 9.3k posts in 1.6k topics.
We currently have 6.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, mydogs1900.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.