Wild Turkey Sausage

• A freind of mine will be bringing me two wild turkey breasts from birds he shot this season. My simple plan is to grind and mix with equal amounts of pork butt. I plan on using the Beer Sausage seasoning mix from Waltons.

Any suggestions to improve on this plan?

• Walton's Employee

@slotown Good to have friends like that! I’d absolutely add a binder of some sort like Super Bind as that is Carrot Fiber and Potato Starch, the potato starch forms a gel at the same temp that meat really starts to excrete water (around 135) so it can absorb that and the carrot fiber can hold up to 26 times its weight in water, or if you don’t want to spend that much money on a biner then Carrot Fiber or Sure Gel. No matter which one you choose a binder will help when combining two different proteins.

Make sure the 50% that is pork is a fatty portion too, my favorite to use is pork butt for sausage.

I’d also add some Hi Temp Cheddar cheese.

• I just ordered the super bind. Hopefully it will get here in time. If not I have carrot fiber onhand.

What about the seasoning?

• Power User

@slotown I will generally add fresh peppers, onions and fresh herbs into my second grind to boost flavor.

• Walton's Employee

@slotown Beer Brat is a good choice when making an all pork brat, I am not sure how it will do 50/50 with wild turkey. When I do wild game I tend to like to add a stronger tasting seasoning and Beer Brat, while very good, is more on the mild side. You could add a strong tasting beer to add some more kick to it. I wouldn’t use an IPA, Ive never had good luck cooking with them, a Barleywine style ale or maybe even a stout might work well though!

• Regular Contributors

@slotown
    It should be ok, you may need to increase the fat percentage or add binder. it will get dry if you don’t. good luck

• Thai peanut sausage!!!
    Not to change your plans but, I did this with pheasant and it was great.
    I found this recipe online.

3.5 lbs poultry
    1.5 cups salted & roasted peanuts
    1 cup Sticky, short-grain rice
    3/4 cup Coconut milk
    3 Tbs green onions, finely chopped (45g)
    1/4 cup Chopped Garlic (36g)
    1 cup Chopped Cilantro (35g)
    30g Kosher Salt
    22g Brown Sugar
    6 tsp Hot Chili-garlic sauce (‘Rooster’-brand)-add more if HOT is desired
    1 Tbs Sesame oil
    6g fresh ground black pepper
    5.5g Ground Galangal (option: ground ginger)
    24mm or 28mm sheep casings

Cook & cool rice first.
    Bone chicken, reserving all meat, fat AND skin. Chill until partially frozen.
    Grind chicken with rice and peanuts through medium plate (4.5mm).
    Add salt, coconut milk & green onions to mixture; mix well.
    Add remaining ingredients & mix thoroughly until sticky paste is formed.
    Stuff into casings; tie off into 4.0" links. Air dry until casing are dry to touch.

I sous vide mine to 150deg for 2hrs. Then brown before serving.
    20190412_164144.jpg

• Power User

@Tommyd I’m so doing that! I love Thai Peanut EVERYthing!

• @Joe-Hell
    It is good.
    We like to serve a chub on a small bed of rice next to 4-5 bang bang shrimp.

Everyone loves it.

• @Jonathon Superbind came in just in time. Total meat weight is 11 pounds. How much should I mix in? Instructions on bag is a bizarre % which I don’t understand. Thanks.

• @slotown Morning… The directions say, 3#'s binds 100 #'s of meat… Soooo, that’s 3% … As this is your first usage, I would recommend 2 1/2% so you can get a feel for the product… To figure out the 2 1/2% amount… 11#'s X 0.025 = 0.275#'s of Superbind… 0.275 X 16 oz/lb = 4.4 oz… 4.4 x 28.35 gms per ounce = 125 grams… If you switch to the metric system, things get easier, but you will need a grams scale… 11#'s x 454 = 4,994 grams or 5,000 grams is really close enough… then multiply 5,000 x 0.025 = 125 grams… A small grams scale can be had from Amazon… I recommend a 0-100 gram range for accurate cure weighing… about $12… I looked and didn’t see one available from Walton’s…

• Power User

@daveomak I go the metric route myself. I will do the calculations and write them on the packages as soon as I receive my order. It sure simplifies the process!

Recent Posts

• Side note. The only thing I’ve found cumbersome about the 20# mixer is having to turn it by hand. Probably why I bought the 44# mixer and grinder to drive it. I do know if you have the mixing shaft situated a certain way it goes in and out easier. I think the paddle end down on drive end.

read more
  • @raider2119
    Very strange… Never had an issue with mine. Wow.

read more
  • @KansasDad
    My son recently purchased a half from in-laws dairy farm. The steaks were awesome and burger was some of the best I’ve ever had. It was a milk cow at one point. The flavor was unbelievable. Interesting video.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

7 users active right now (0 members and 7 guests).

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 7.6k posts in 1.4k topics.
We currently have 5.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, beckjb.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.