• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors Team Grey

Hey guys, in my lean trimmed venison i add 30% ground pork for sausage and snack sticks. Im looking at doing beef since i dont have any venison left. Do i use the same percentage of pork for beef? I plan on beef trim being as lean as possible. Thanks for the help

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

twilliams If you are planning on trimming your beef extremely lean then I would recommend you either add more than 30% or at least use a binder. We generally recommend that you have around 70/30 lean to fat, so if you are adding ground pork (which might be around 60/40) to a very lean beef you are going to be pretty light on the fight.

Now, if you’ve been doing this with pork and venison and are pleased with the results you should have very similar results if you just replace the venison with beef but I’d think you would have better success with higher fat content.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.