Smokies

• looking for a recipe for Smokies, we call them Bavarian Smokies in Canada. Hi, all new here, and first-time sausage making. Ready to go. Just wanting to make smokies next. Thanks

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Cndnwoman Here is a recipe for a 10 lb batch, hope it helps!
    Meat Block

• 4 lb 85% lean beef
    • 4 lb 80% lean pork
    • 2 lb 50/50 pork trim

Additives

• Lil Smokies
    • Sure Cure (included with the lil smokies)
    • 2.2 lb of ice cold water
    • Cure Accelerator of choice, if you want to use one, if not then hold overnight after stuffing

Process

• Grind beef 3 times. First through a 3/18 then twice through a 1/8th inch plate
      Grind all pork through 3/16th plate twice

• Mix the beef with 1/2 the water, all of the seasoning and sure cure and mix for 4 minutes. Add pork, cure accelerator (if wanted) and the rest of the water and mix for 4 more minutes.

• Stuff into 21mm casings

Thermal Processing

• 30 minutes at 120 with dampers wide open for drying, smoke off
    • 30 minutes at 130 smoke on
    • 30 minutes at 140 smoke on
    • 30 minutes at 150 smoke on
    • 15 minutes at 160 smoke off
    • Then cook at 170 until the internal temperature reaches 160° smoke off
      (Shower or ice bath for 20 minutes)

Hold at two hours at room temperature before moving to the cooler overnight.

• Masterbuilt

During the thermal processing, even on other meat processes, when and how much smoke are you proposing? I like your list of temps and time frame for each.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

deweymeats I updated the thermal processing section with when to add smoke. How much smoke you want depends on taste and the setup you have. I’d just put a pan of smoke chips in there and let them work but if you want less smoke you can obviously use less chips but if you are wanting a milder smoke flavor then use a fruit wood or pecan. Here is the updated smoke schedule though so both of these posts sort of stand on there own

Thermal Processing

• 30 minutes at 120 with dampers wide open for drying, smoke off
    • 30 minutes at 130 smoke on
    • 30 minutes at 140 smoke on
    • 30 minutes at 150 smoke on
    • 15 minutes at 160 smoke off
    • Then cook at 170 until the internal temperature reaches 160° smoke off
      (Shower or ice bath for 20 minutes)

• Jonathon thank you so so much. I’ll be getting on this on Friday. Thanks again

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size