New to Smoking,Questions on beef sticks

• Hi-
    I am new to smoking and have question on adding pork fat to venison. WIll a pork shoulder roast work from my local market? If I substituted for beef what part of beef fat do I need? do I need suit fat?
    Also when smoking and I want to add smoke when do I put the smoke chips in?
    I currently have a MES 40.
    Thanks!
    Steve

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

@steven-hegge A pork butt or shoulder will work if you cannot get your hands on straight pork fat but if you use that then I would make your mix 50% pork shoulder and 50% venison. If you are using beef fat just know that it will not be as creamy as the pork fat will be but it will work. The suet is a very hard fat from the loin area so I would say if you are going to go with beef that it would be a good choice. I like pork fat more though.

For smoke schedule and more information check out https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/763/cured-sausage-106-basics-of-making-snack-sticks

• 125F for 1 hour With No smoke and Dampers Open (this is a drying stage)
    • 140F for 1 hour With Smoke and Damper Closed
    • 155F for 2 hours With Smoke and Damper Closed
    • 175F until internal meat temp of 160F With Smoke and Damper Closed

When they have reached 160° internal temperature remove from the smoker and put them in an ice bath to bring the heat down and help set the casing.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.