Help With Making a Smaller Batch of Snack Sticks

• Hi everyone,
    I need some help with making a smaller batch of snack sticks. I would like to make 5lbs to make sure I will like it first. I know I need 1 teaspoon of cure #1 for 5lbs of meat. How much sure gel meat binder do I need? Roughly 1 and 1/5th ounces of a 6oz packet?

Thanks in advance

• Admin

@wrobben4848
    That would be correct.
    If you have a small kitchen scale, it should be fairly easy to measure out close to that amount.
    If you don’t have a scale, just get as close as you can by “eyeballing” what that 1.2 ounces (1/5 of a package would be).
    Sure gel is not going to be something that requires such an extreme level of exactness that you’d hurt anything by using a little too much or a little less than it calls for.

• Did not expect a reply on a sunday! Thanks for the info you guys at waltons are top notch!

• Admin

Thanks for the compliment @wrobben4848!

Good luck in making your snack sticks! Hope it turns out fantastic!

• Made the sticks on sunday and they came out great. I made Willies, Pepper Stick, and the Jalapeno. They are all good. I did add 1lb of hi temp chedder cheese to my 10lb batch of the Jalapeno. That is my favorite one, highly recommend it to all.

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.