Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Learn how to make Homemade Spaghetti Sauce with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

Sautéed Garlic & Onions
    Seasoning and Basil
    Italian Sausage

What Is a Red Sauce?

There are a few different types of pasta sauces, there are even a few different types of red sauces but we are going to be showing you how we like to make a homemade basic red sauce with some Italian sausage in it. This is a similar recipe that my grandmother used and it has always served me well. I will add a few extra notes at the bottom for suggestions on how to modify this to your tastes.

What Are the Most Important Parts

1. Choose the right Tomatoes, I like to use San Marzano tomatoes, they are a variety of plum tomatoes and the well-balanced taste makes them a good choice for this red sauce.
    2. Use fresh Garlic and dice it very small
    3. Use fresh Onion and dice it just a little larger than the garlic.
    4. Use fresh Basil, this is incredibly important, do not use pre-chopped and dried stuff or the paste that they sell in grocery stores.

Meat Block

4 Cans - San Marzano Whole Tomatoes
    1 small can tomato paste
    1 Onion
    1 Clove of Garlic
    1/2 Cup Olive Oil
    3 Bay Leaves
    Fresh Basil
    Salt
    Pepper
    Excalibur’s Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning
    Sliced Italian Sausage

Process

The first thing you are going to want to do is to blend your tomatoes, don’t overdo it you just want them roughly blended not liquified. Then add your olive oil, I used a 1/2 cup because I was making a double batch with 4 cans of tomatoes but I would normally use 2 cans and a 1/4 cup. Add your olive oil to a pan and saute your garlic and onions, because we chopped our garlic very fine and left our onions a little bigger we can put them in at the same time.

Once your garlic and onions are sauteed (the onions will become translucent) go ahead and add your tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring this to a boil for just a few minutes, then reduce and simmer and stir every 15 or so minutes. After it has simmered for 1/2 hour add your basil, salt, and pepper, 3 bay leaves (remove bay leaves before serving), stir everything in and then continue to simmer for another hour.

In a separate pan fry your Italian Sausage in its whole form until it is about 150° then pull it from the pan, cut up into chunks and add to your sauce for the last hour.

Wrap up

The ability to make a quality basic red sauce will open up a lot of different possibilities to you in the kitchen. When you understand how to make this you can start playing around with adding other meats, a favorite version of this sauce is to add shellfish instead of the sausage. The recipe is simple, almost all of your work will be done in the first 1/2 hour, after that it is mostly making sure it simmers and stirring it every 15 minutes or so to prevent it from burning.

Notes

• Tasting your sauce as you go is very important, especially the first few times you make it, this will tell you if you need to add more salt, pepper or basil.
    • If you want to add a little bit of sweetness to your sauce then adding regular sugar is the best way to achieve this. I would recommend you start with a small amount and add more to taste. If you are avoiding sugar then adding carrots will also add some sweetness. I like to add them during the simmering process and pull them out before serving.
    • From time to time I also like to

Watch WaltonsTV: Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Shop waltonsinc.com for Excalibur Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning

Shop waltonsinc.com for Mild Italian Sausage Seasoning

Shop waltonsinc.com for Weston Pro Series Blender

VacMaster SV1 Sous Vide Circulator

Sous Vide Circulator

Walton's Sausage Stuffer

33 lb Walton's Sausage Stuffer

• Power User

Sounds like a good recipe! One trick I learned years ago (by watching Lidia Bastianich) was to pull the noodles early (shy of al dente) and finish in the sauce while it is still a little ‘loose’ for a few minutes reserving some of the pasta water just in case you need to add a bit more to soften the noodles. The noodles will absorb all of the extra water and plenty of the sauce flavor. That, and the boiling water should be salty “like the ocean”. Just keep in mind that adding the water will increase the salt in the sauce and pasta mixture.

I planted a massive amount of San Marzanos and Basil this year for canning pasta sauce!

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

@Joe-Hell I Imagine your house as almost a shrine to food, like no art work on the walls other than perfectly lit pictures of food you have made or eaten, your kitchen equipment has lighting from above pointing down at it and is as much a display as it is something you use, your spice rack is an entire wall and your garden grows in through a window directly into your kitchen…don’t ruin my mental image of your set up!

• Power User

@Jonathon LOL…‘close’. I’ll just say that I am really lucky to have the perfect window, with the perfect lighting but only at certain times of the day. I was looking at food photography tripods the other day so I can use my ‘real’ camera instead of the iPhone. The phone does a pretty [censored] good job though!

• Here is my version of recipe:

(for using up leftover uncooked vegetables)

1 Kg. mince meat

Two 450g cans of tomatoes

1 or 2 cans of thick tomato soup

2 large onions (chopped)

Leftover uncooked vegetables. Only use vegetables which are mould free.

Any vegetables which children don’t like e.g. spinach. Put the last two items through a food processor. Put it all in a heavy (large) saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for about 1 hour.

Optional: Put in half a cup of red wine if desired for more flavour. Serve over spaghetti or noodles. (Potatoes are not a suitable vegetable for use in this recipe).

From my housekeeping hints webpage

Other useful information:

The powerful intercession of the Holy Souls in Purgatory for their benefactors and ways to help them

http://missionbell.homestead.com/Afavourgrantedbytheholysouls.html

The web page has accounts of the intercession of The Holy Souls in Purgatory, for their benefactors in cases of illness, addictions, cars that won’t start, infertility problems, protection in accidents, conversion, chronic insomnia, their help for people who are experiencing major trouble with city councils, success with projects, employment, real estate, television sets that don’t work properly, finding lost property and trouble with relations, etc. and prayers and ideas on how to help The Holy Souls in Purgatory.

Novena to St Philomena the Wonder Worker for the healing of autism

http://missionbell.homestead.com/novenaforautisticchildren.html

Each person (who has autism or an autism related condition) whose name is sent to be included in this novena will be prayed for regularly by a priest chaplain of Lourdes, France at the grotto. Only the first name of the person is needed for the purpose of this novena. Everyone is invited to send names: parents, grandparents, teachers, doctors, aunties, therapists etc.

The novena is held twice every month from: the 1st to the 9th of the Month and from the 10th to the 18th of the month.

(My oldest child received a big healing from autism through prayer).

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

8 users active right now (0 members and 8 guests).
IndianaJohn, Joe Hell, neil reynolds

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 13.7k posts in 1.9k topics.
We currently have 8.1k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, edwards2.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.