Cold phosphate brine recipe

• I’ve brined thick cut pork chops before using about 1/4 cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup white sugar in a gallon of water. Now I have learned here that cold phosphate will increase the juiciness. How much cold phosphate do I add to the gallon of water?

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

roosterndad Instead of basing it on the amount of water I would recommend that you base it on the amount of meat you are brinning. The ratio will be 2 oz of cold phosphate to 25 lb of meat. Do not go far beyond this or you could end up with a slightly soapy taste.

• Jonathon Thanks for the feedback. I’m confused how to measure since I’m putting 1 or 2 thick chops (maybe 1 3/4 lb total) in a gallon tub of water/brine. Seems I should put the phosphate in in an amount based on the gallon of water to create a certain chemical concentration. It seems to me I’d want the same chemical concentration in the gallon of water regardless of whether there was 2 pounds of meat or 10 pounds of meat. Can you explain?

• Team Blue

roosterndad When I use the Pa’s Soluble Black Bull I will mix one gallon at a time but I do not add the cold phosphate ahead of time. Last night I started a Sous Vide deli style roast beef and added the recommended rate of phosphate based on the meat weight then dissolved in the amount of liquid I wanted to use for the injection/marinade. The total amount of liquid was just shy of two cups.

• roosterndad That’s correct… Base your additions on the weight of the meat and weight of the brine… May I suggest you reduce the brine amount to 50% the weight of the meat… Now you have ~2#'s chops and ~1# of water… Add all the extra ingredients based on 3#'s of stuff… You will need to use a zip bag…

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

roosterndad If you are looking for a ratio of cold phosphate to water then you would want to use .5 of a lb to 9.5 lb of water, this would be enough for 100 lb of meat at a 10% pump ratio, which would be the correct amount. So if you are doing a 10 lb batch it would .05 of cold phosphate and .95 of a lb of water.

I normally don’t add cold phosphate by itself, I am adding it to an injection solution that I have already calculated the water for so I just add in the cold phosphate to that solution at the ratio of 2 oz per 25 lb of meat.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size