Gas or electric smokehouse

• Was considering a prosmoker and roaster 500t and was wondering which would have an advantage in economics or flavor in the commercial setting. Thanks

• Walton's Employee

@SmokinDave58 As far as the cost of running goes it would depend on what type of gas you are talking about. Do you mean propane tanks or would you hook it up to a natural gas line? If it is propane tanks it would be fairly close but if you are hooking it up to natural gas then that would be the more economical option.

As far as taste goes I personally think there is an advantage to using an electric smoker that uses coils to heat the smoker and creates the smoke but there are plenty of people who don’t believe there is a difference in taste.

• Power User

I prefer electric just for the simplicity of things. The Masterbuilt smokers tend to hold a lot more moisture than the propane ones I have played with. They also seem to be better insulated than propane versions as well.

• @Jonathon The gas company is going to run a natural gas line down the road, eventually, one of the reasons we were set up for a gas smokehouse. I have heard that gas smokehouses are being phased out of the market because of possible liability issues and safety concerns. Thanks. Love your videos and read your information all the time.

• @Joe-Hell Thanks for your input. I appreciate your reply.

Recent Posts

• @Jonathon I’m grilling lamb chops, pork chops, flat iron and three different kinds of sausage tonight. Also having a salad. I think this job is going to work out just fine!

read more
  • @Jonathon Touché!

read more
  • S

@Jonathon Thank you… Do you leave the flakes whole or give them a quick pulse in the spice grinder?

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

14 users active right now (0 members and 14 guests).
macsinsac, Papa Mike

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 7.1k posts in 1.3k topics.
We currently have 5.4k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Buddy Matto.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.