Meat Processing Equipment: 205 Maintenance for Sausage Stuffer

• Walton's Employee

Equipment Header

Meat Processing Equipment: 205 Maintenance for your Sausage Stuffer

Attend this Intermediate level class from Meatgistics University by watching the video, reading the article and post any questions you have!

What are Gears?

Walton’s stuffers have 2 gears on the side that you can hook the handle up to for moving the piston. The top one is a high-speed gear and should only be used when backing the piston out of the cylinder. The bottom gear is the one you should be using to stuff sausage off of, using the top gear to stuff can break your gearbox. The gearbox is aluminum with zinc plated steel gears and when you turn the crank it moves the gear and pushes the rack down through the cannister.

Top & Bottom Gear
    Gear Box
    Gasket Orientation

Replacing Gear Box

Depending on how much and how well you use the stuffer you might have to replace a gearbox and even if you aren’t replacing it you will want to oil or grease it from time to time. The 7 & 11 lb take the same smaller size gearbox and the 26 and 33 lb take the larger size. Replacing one really isn’t that hard. The first thing you need to do is to remove the 4 screws underneath the gearbox to release the plate. Once that is off you can remove the rack through the bottom of the stuffer. Next, you have to remove the 4 screws from either side of the housing. Remove the housing by grabbing it from the back and pulling it slightly down and then away then rotate it up and pull it out the front. If you are just wanting to grease or oil your gearbox periodically you can stop at this step, just add some food safe grease, it cannot be regular grease, or even some white oil to the gears and turn the handle a few times to make sure it is as coated as you want and then put the housing cover back on.

Next, we need to remove the two bolts from either side of the housing. These are metric so you will want to use a 14 metric socket. Remove two from one side and then brace the gearbox underneath with your hand and remove the two from the other side. Now gently pull out the handle side of the frame and the gearbox will come right out. Your new gearbox is already greased so you can just slide it in and reverse the process to install your new gearbox and the put everything back together in the opposite of how we took it apart.

Gasket & Air Valve

There was a change at some point in how you orientate the gasket on the piston so now instead of the outer most part going at the bottom of the piston it goes at the top like this. I have done a lot of testing and if you put the gasket in upside down it will still work you just might get a little more of the meat escaping around the edges of the piston. We highly recommend that you lubricate your piston gasket with white oil before each use, I’d also recommend that you have a spare on hand as if this breaks you won’t be able to use your stuffer.

The Air Valve on the piston needs to be fully removed before cleaning, there is a spring in here that allows you to set how tight the valve is. To remove it just unscrew the screw on the top, making sure you don’t lose the washer, then take out the plug and the screw that sits on top of it. Wash & Dry them thoroughly and reassemble.

Shop waltonsinc.com for Gear Box for 26 & 33lb Stuffers

Shop waltonsinc.com for Gear Box for 6 & 11lb Stuffers

• This is great information. Having been involved in setting up and implementing PM schedules for a couple of places I’ve worked at over the years I can’t emphasize enough the importance of this. Doesn’t matter if it’s a fishing reel, automobile or a conveyor system. You don’t want breakdowns.

Couple of questions on this one.
    Does the manufacturer recommend greasing after a certain amount of use?
    Aside from the food grade grease or white oil can a food grade silicon spray be used?

A food grade grease could potentially last for years with the limited amount of movement on these gears. May be the best option.

I currently use the spray on my grinder plates and knives. Works well.

Recent Posts

• @Jonathon I’m grilling lamb chops, pork chops, flat iron and three different kinds of sausage tonight. Also having a salad. I think this job is going to work out just fine!

read more
  • @Jonathon Touché!

read more
  • S

@Jonathon Thank you… Do you leave the flakes whole or give them a quick pulse in the spice grinder?

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

9 users active right now (0 members and 9 guests).
Ken1261

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 7.1k posts in 1.3k topics.
We currently have 5.4k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Buddy Matto.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.