Homemade Mayonnaise

• Regular Contributors

Ok, it’s not meat, but it goes on every sandwich I make contains meat…
    I’ve been experimenting with making my own mayonnaise and have developed several with fantastic flavor profiles, but the shelf life is incredibly short… 2-3 days at most.

Since the health concern with homemade mayo would be the raw egg yolk it contains, I have played with pasteurizing the yolk before mixing, but was wondering about using either citric acid or celery powder (or prague #1) or a combination of the two as a preservative…

Also, I was wondering if a binder such as powdered milk or even carrot fiber would act as an emulsifier to hold the finished product in suspension for longer periods…

And finally, I have not tried smoking any mayo yet… but was thinking of trying a light pecan or maple cold smoke…

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated…

• Walton's Employee

@raider2119 Mayo absolutely will accept a lot of smoke, I think Pecan is the right way to go, we did hickory and it was slightly bitter. If you want some more information on that check this out https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/437/mayo-will-it-bbq

As for using some cure or citric acid to extend the life of it I don’t know. I haven’t tried it, let me ask around here for some ideas. My thought is citric acid might work but it would change the taste pretty drastically. I think cure would be your best bet but let me get back to you on that.

Carrot fiber would work as a binder but I would fear that it would give you just a little bit of texture that might not be desirable for mayo.

• Power User

I like the idea of the smoked mayo but it’s not something I use too much these days without the bread in my diet. Cream Cheese on the other hand is something I use often for stuffed Jalapenos. I’m doing that one tomorrow for sure. I planted a huge amount of them this year so I’m sure the cream cheese is something I will be doing all summer. Is cream cheese something you would recommend holding for a couple weeks prior to eating as with hard cheeses?

• @Joe-Hell As for holding cheese for two weeks after smoking, that is not really necessary. A holding of 3-5 days in a refrigerator, wrapped in plastic wrap is all that is necessary. Yes, they will ‘get better with age’ is a true statement. But when you know that you have some yummy smoked cheese in the fridge, two weeks is torture.

• Power User

@KansasDad lol. I have struggled with staying out of the cheese for a full two weeks. Anything I’ve tried that was less than a week was extremely acrid and bitter…although that could be my process as much as anything. I try to go pretty light on the smoke.

On the same subject…has anyone smoked the high temp cheeses?

• Power User

@Joe-Hell I just finished the cream cheese along with some Tillamook Colby Jack. I can’t wait to try both!

14281A0C-19C2-44FA-8BF2-41E1458F0055.jpeg

• @Joe-Hell Look fantastic!! No, I haven’t tried to smoke any of the high temp cheese. That would be interesting.

• Walton's Employee

@Joe-Hell and @KansasDad We will be testing out smoking some hi-temp cheese shortly for a Meatgistics U video/article. I think we will probably smoke each flavor and then see which ones we like the best by themselves instead of putting them into the product so nothing interferes with our tasting. Video might not come out for a while but I will post the results here when we smoke the cheeses.

• Walton's Employee

@raider2119 It was strongly suggested that you not use any type of cure in your mayo! Some form of citric acid seems like it might be the best way for you to go. The issue being that encapsulated citric acid isn’t the right choice, you would probably want something that is not encapsulated as it will never get to a temperature that would melt the cottonseed oil coating.

• @raider2119

I started making mayo about a year ago. I have used both unpasteurized and pasteurized eggs. I cannot speak to your basic questions but I get longer shelf life than a couple of days. I now use only pasteurized eggs and they are very easy to prepare. I use my sous vide water circulator for quick and positive temperature control for the pasteurizing process. My go to recipe uses only eggs, canola oil, fruit vinegar, and salt. I really enjoy the fresh taste of homemade mayo and now cannot tolerate the commercial brand that I thought was great stuff. Made more work for me but it is worth it.

• @applejack
    This is the recipe I use for making homemade mayonnaise.
    2 whole pasteurized eggs
    1-1/2 cups canola oil. Almost any oil will make mayo. Do not use 100% extra virgin olive oil. You will not like the aftertaste.
    2 tbsp 5% vinegar. I use a fruit vinegar. Red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar or lemon juice works very well.
    1/2 tsp salt
    An immersion (stick) blender is a great tool.
    Makes one pint
    Put all the ingredients into a container that fits the blender. Blend on high speed. Almost like magic.
    The use of an acid such as vinegar or citrus is the key to improving shelf life. Must be refrigerated. Cold ingredients form an emulsion easier.

Recent Posts

• J

The only kind of dehydrator I’ve used for snack sticks is a jerky dehydrator. The snack sticks will shrivel just like jerky but maintain the flavor.
    I’ll try to upload a pic. The ones on the left are the dehydrated sticks and the ones on the right were slow cooked in an oven. AE1C6B3B-E0E4-4A8C-8A71-E5191A0330B1.jpeg

read more
  • G

Has anyone tried to dehydrate snack sticks instead of using a smoker?

read more
  • Tonight’s dinner is a spatchcocked whole chicken marinated in my fermented chili sauce. Sides of grilled sweet peppers from the garden and rice.IMG_20190915_120107_burst_01.jpg IMG_20190915_120728.jpg IMG_20190915_135402.jpg IMG_20190915_183415.jpg IMG_20190915_183828.jpg IMG_20190915_185222.jpg

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

10 users active right now (0 members and 10 guests).
craigrice, rich

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 7.5k posts in 1.4k topics.
We currently have 5.5k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, logansmith123.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.