Makin bacon

• I’m curious, has anyone ever used any of the Excalibur jerky or snack stick/sausage seasonings to cure a pork belly to make bacon? I make a lot of bacon but am wanting to expand to some different flavors.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

@fatsnacks I’ve never done it and you will run into a few “issues” none of which will cause you too many problems or make it not worth doing!

The first issue is that you are going to have a heck of a time getting the ingoing nitrites correct. For injected bacon, the parts per million (ppm) of bacon is 120 and for a dry rub, it is 200. They have done this because there is some evidence that cured meat that has been chared can be a carcinogen IF the ingoing ppm is above those levels. So, to be clear if your ingoing ppm of nitrite is under those thresholds then feel free to char away (within reason of course) and you will be fine.

If you are planning on using an Excalibur Jerky or Snack stick then the cure will come alongside with the seasoning, not already mixed in and that will help to make the calculations a little easier. You get 1 oz of sure cure which is 6.25% nitrite so a 1 oz package is .0625 of an oz of nitrites and then you have to figure out how much bacon you are going to be using it on.

The next “issue” would taste. You have the possibility of way over seasoning bacon if you are using a jerky or snack stick seasoning. Bacon Cures, believe it or not, are very mild tasting as compared to a cured sausage. If you are interested in trying this I think it is going to take some experimenting. I’m not saying it couldn’t be good but it might take a few trials to get it dialed in!

• @Jonathon thank you for the response! I figured it would probably be pretty intensely seasoned if I used the same ratio as recommended for jerky. I’ll experiment with a little less seasoning and maybe cut in some dark brown sugar to balance it out!

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

@fatsnacks And when you do it please let us know how it comes out! I’ve rubbed a few bellies with 5 Pepper blend or jalapenos to add some flavor but Ive never tried a jerky seasoning so i am interested!

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

13 users active right now (1 members and 12 guests).
number1baddog, djc51, glen

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 13.7k posts in 1.9k topics.
We currently have 8.1k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, edwards2.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.