Maple bacon

• Good morning all,

I used to be able to purchase maple bacon from Costco that had an elevated level of maple flavoring and it was most likely the best bacon I have ever had. You could smell the maple when it cooked and taste it when eating it.

I have tried maple bacon cure from other sources and it never has the amount of maple flavor that I am trying to achieve. It simply tastes like regular bacon.

I want to try your Blue Ribbon Maple Bacon Cure but am wondering:

A) Does it have much maple flavor

😎 IS there a suggested way of adding additional maple flavoring? I have tried adding maple flavor to the ones I have previously used with little success. The bacon was ok but no maple flavor.

• Power User

@wvhunter1965 I can’t answer specifically on the cure but I would think that during the smoking process you could easily apply a maple glaze. I would suggest using a quality pure maple syrup rather than your average syrup for pancakes.

• Walton's Employee

@wvhunter1965 Like Joe said adding 100% pure Maple Syrup is the best way to go about that. If you are looking for a strong maple taste then I would suggest adding some if you are using the Blue Ribbon Maple Cure, we have a lot of commercial processors who do this to up the amount of maple. Now, a lot of people say that Maple is really more of a scent than it is a taste and when you “taste” maple you are really smelling it, so maybe adding some maple sugar, along with the already present maple flavor in the cure is an easier way to go!

• Johnathan already hit the mark that I was going to make about possibly using Maple Sugar (which is Maple Syrup cooked down to just the sugar) to the cure. It will then have longer time to be infused into the meat. Adding Maple to the smoke, I don’t think will make any difference. In fact, I don’t think that smoking this bacon is wise, as you will be covering up the Maple taste/smell that you are looking for.

• Thanks guy’s! Will take all this into consideration.

May also add a little maple flavoring to the injection liquid before injecting and see what that produces!

Will post the results when it is done!

• Power User

@wvhunter1965 I would also recommend the real syrup as opposed to the flavoring in your injection. Extract can be overpowering even in small amounts.

• @Joe-Hell The darker the maple syrup is the stronger the taste

• Power User

@ucwp5678 That’s a good point! A darker variety maple would make for a great glaze!

• @wvhunter1965 McCormick has a maple flavoring that you can buy at Walmart. I add it to my maple Habanero summer sausage and snack sticks and it seems to increase the flavor a good bit. I also add extra brown sugar. Maybe it will give you similar results with your bacon.

• So i have finally had time to use the Waltons Blue Ribbon Maple Bacon Cure and it is fantastic. I have not yet tried adding additional maple flavor of any sort but just wanted to at least give a thumbs up to Waltons for their cure!

Will update when I try the maple flavoring!

• years back I would take bacon lay it flat and sprinkle it with brown sugar and pure maple syrup and bake it. It was great on a BLT…It was a quick fix for catering

• One item to try that seems to aid in great sweet success, rub true molasses (not blackstrap) to belly prior to applying cure. I recently started using it more around items I would like to sweeten up some. It seems to provide that great sweet flavor that one is typically seeking out. To aid efforts beyond that is adding some cracked black pepper (between molasses and cure) to recipe, makes it seem like Heaven on Earth. Enjoy!!

• Power User

@SmokeDaddy I bet the molasses would pair very well with rum for a glaze. I experimented this weekend with a ‘hot toddy’ bacon glaze using whiskey, honey and lemon zest!

• @Joe-Hell The dark, robust pure maple syrup is from the first of the season. As the season goes on, the tree produces lighter, less flavored maple syrup. At least that is what I read when researching maple tree rendering of syrup.

• Power User

@KLee Sweet! (Literally speaking) I’m going to seek out some serious maple syrup based on your suggestion. I’ve seen many in the last couple of years that are aged in whiskey barrels…there is no way that wouldn’t enhance bacon, ham, chops, etc… It’s pretty easy to obtain toasted oak chips, cubes or small used whisky barrels these days for home production.

Recent Posts

• R

@Jonathon I have not tried WD-40 yet, the brass piece on the knob end seems to move freely, and seems to have full range of travel… just not far enough to allow the mixer paddle to slip free… There is no rust, in fact, this appears to be brand new… don’t even see any scratches on the plastic lid…

I have removed the handle / crank, but the brass piece on that side is still in the mixer… It appears this inserts from the inside, and to remove it the paddle must be removed first… am I somehow wrong about this?

read more
  • @craigrice Currently the only least expensive thing we have that will do this is the E-Z Slider and that is beyond what anyone would want to spend on something to make homemade sliders.

If weston or anyone else ever makes a slider press that hooks up to the stuffers or grinders you can be sure we will sell them!

read more
  • Okay, Im sure you’ve already done this but in the one on the left the knob is screwed in and somewhat loose, on the left it is screwed in all the way AND I am pulling back on it, it drags the thicker part back into the recess. Also, I assume you have removed the screw and the handle from the other side and pulled out the brass piece over there as well?

I assume you have tried that as you attempted to spread out the sides. I’d try shooting some blaster or wd40 from both the inside and around the knob area and let it sit on its side a little. I think it is most likely going to be a rusty spring or rust on the threads and that blaster stuff is pretty amazing at dealing with rust.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

14 users active right now (0 members and 14 guests).
knifemaker3

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 7.6k posts in 1.4k topics.
We currently have 5.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jordan1919.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.