First Timer

• Team Blue

I’ll be attempting, my first time making any sausage on my own, summer sausage. I have an electric smoker and a pellet grill. Any thoughts on what to use and any suggestions for what to do? I will be going with a small batch(10 lbs or less to start) Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

ShaneBell Well, welcome to the addiction, we all started somewhere! If you are asking for what seasoning to use it would depend on your taste. My favorite is the Habanero BBQ, it isn’t that hot as the sweetness from the BBQ balances that out. If you don’t like heat then the H-Summer is probably the best bet. I’d also recommend you use simple mahogany casings like the 2.4 X 12

For more detailed information I’d suggest you check out the Meatgistics University video 107 Basics for Making Summer Sausage and if you are looking for some more in depth information then 206 Advanced Cured Sausage Processing.

Oh, and adding hi-temp cheese is always a good idea!

Good luck and take and post pics of your progress!

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

I’d definitely use the electric smoker on this and follow Walton’s smoking schedule. Don’t have a pellet grill so can’t attest to how much control you have over the temperature on those. Seasoning is wide open and way to many flavors out there. My personal favorite is a garlic and cracked pepper. If you like cheese, that is a nice option and Walton’s high temp cheese works very well and tastes great. As Jonathon said, watch the videos and jump right in. Good luck!

• Team Blue

Jonathon Thanks! I placed my order yesterday and will have to wait a few weeks because one item is on back order. I went with H-Summer and Jalapeno Summer sausage flavorings. I’ll be sure and update with pics when it’s done.

• Team Blue

PapaSop Thanks! I will probably go with the electric. You definitely have more control than a pellet but they are not that far off. Electric will be easier for the lower temps.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

11 users active right now (0 members and 11 guests).
ClaytonD, Brianzipperdog123

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 17.4k posts in 2.1k topics.
We currently have 9.4k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Mark Jones.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.