1st time around venison summer sausage.

• 50/50 venison pork shoulder 5 lb. meat block, H seasoning, carrot fiber, sure cure, ECA, and HT cheddar stuffed in red string 1 lb fibrous casing. Just a little rind after removing the casing. I think the rind was caused by the wild temperature swings in my Bradley smoker. At the lower temps I was seeing +/- 30 degrees. Sausage has plenty of smoke with starting at the 140 degree stage thru the 155 degree phase, so 3 hours of smoke. It took 12 hours in a 175 degree oven hung on sticks to finish at 160 degrees. The long finish was most likely do to the extra water I added for ease of stuffing. Another reason for the rind could have been caused by my water pan in the oven going dry at the very end. Overall very happy with the taste and texture. Just need a nap today to catch up. Thanks for all of the online content and assistance we have here at the Walton community.![0_1560530412119_20190613_141448.jpg](Uploading 100%) 20190614_072244.jpg 20190614_110853.jpg

• Walton's Employee

@1GRINDER Still looks good from the pics, the rind isn’t very noticeable so good job, especially considering it was a 50/50 with venison. Water pan could have had something to do with it but I’d say more likely it was the swings in temp early on that caused it. Two quick things, have you tried finishing up your summer sausage sous vide style? It works really well, you get it cooked in the smoker to somewhere around 130 -140° then pull it, vac seal it and cook it in 170° (ish) degree water. it will finish in no time and gives a great finished texture.

Other thought, have you checked out the Cured Sausage: 205 Advanced Thermal Processing? We played around with Automotive Sponges to increase the surface area of the water and that upped our relative humidity by about 30% which speeds up cook times nicely!

• @1GRINDER
    Wow, That looks very nice. Recently had the rind effect happen with some snack sticks and once with summer sausage. It was not much, but I think it gave it a bit of a “chew” factor that I really enjoyed. I typically do a 70/30 venison to pork ratio, but that’s just personal preference. I like the extra venison flavor. Looks tasty, time to pull a stick out of the freezer.

@Jonathon is right about the water cook though. The last venison summer sausage I did was pulled from smoker after it hit the stall at 145. Put directly in a turkey cooker of water @ 170. This hit finished temp in 45 minutes. Great time saver. I did not vacuum seal these but went straight to the cooker. I know Jonathon has gone back and forth about this before with @Parksider. I think it’s a love-hate thing😉

• @Jonathon I have the sous vide equipment, in fact just received a new vessel with silicone top and insulation jacket for the new tub. It’s only twelve qt. capacity but still could do a dozen of the little 1 pounders. I have watched the 205 advanced video, it made up my mind to get a new tub. I guess I could fashion a bracket to mount the sous vide unit in one of my coolers for the full size summer sausage size.
    Doing a batch of Blue Ribbon Brats tomorrow. I have 9 lbs of ground pork shoulder left from my summer sausage test. How much venison would you mix with the 9lbs for a juicy brat? Thanks for the tips.

• Walton's Employee

@1GRINDER Probably too late but if 50/50 with venison is fine. Too much more venison than that and it starts to get a little dry. You can add some extra pork fat if you want to use more venison. However you do/did that you should grind them together to help them mix more thoroughly.

• @PapaSop said in 1st time around venison summer sausage.:

@1GRINDER
    Wow, That looks very nice. Recently had the rind effect happen with some snack sticks and once with summer sausage. It was not much, but I think it gave it a bit of a “chew” factor that I really enjoyed. I typically do a 70/30 venison to pork ratio, but that’s just personal preference. I like the extra venison flavor. Looks tasty, time to pull a stick out of the freezer.

@Jonathon is right about the water cook though. The last venison summer sausage I did was pulled from smoker after it hit the stall at 145. Put directly in a turkey cooker of water @ 170. This hit finished temp in 45 minutes. Great time saver. I did not vacuum seal these but went straight to the cooker. I know Jonathon has gone back and forth about this before with @Parksider. I think it’s a love-hate thing😉

I started doing it the same way with the turkey fryer pot on the stove at 170* without vacuum sealing. what a time saver and the meat was evenly cooked and moist.

• @chippewa
    Nice. Glad it worked out for you. I know I’ll be doing this method going forward. Sure beats those 10-12 hour smoker times.

I like the @chippewa name. Pretty common in my area. Neighboring town is Chippewa Falls. Also home to a brewery with some very tasty beverages.

Recent Posts

• K

@Jonathon @LaBarca-cf What I take @Jonathon is saying is that you might just want to “pre-grill” your fresh sausages all the way up to full cooked temperature (71 C/160 F) and then bag them. Store them on ice until you are ready to serve them. When you get ready to serve them, throw them, bag and all, into a 160 F/71 C kettle of water for 20 minutes. Your sausages will be serving temperature, smoky and delicious. You will also bypass any chance of serving bad meat. This will work especially well if you have a vacuum bag sealer. If not, slowly work the air out of a ziploc bag and seal that as well as you can.

let us know if any of this is helpful.

read more
  • T

@Jonathon sure did, and so did the other 11 out of 12 people conpared to that half hog i did. They said that both were delishous but like the black bull better. Now with that said the 1/2 hog had alot more hours of smoke time which gave it alot of smoke flavor where the black bull had more seasoning flavor. 1/2 hog was 23 hour cook with approx 6 hours smoke and one 8 lb pork butt only had 2 hours smoke. Took both meats up to 160° then cut off smoke, wrapped in foil and finished cook to 200°. Both were extremely juicy

read more
  • @Dave-R Interesting. I would have not expected that much difference between the two.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

8 users active right now (1 members and 7 guests).
kucharski

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 6.6k posts in 1.3k topics.
We currently have 5.2k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Faith Fellowship.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.