Bora Bora Prawns!

• Power User

This is a little embarrassing…these turned out so good that I forgot to take a picture of the finished product. D’oh!!!

A friend of mine has owned a Chinese restaurant in my area for decades and had a menu item called the Bora Bora Prawns. There is only 3 ingredients but they are amazing. About 10 years ago he merged with another business owner that now runs the restaurant and he took over the duties for the bar. When this transition happened several menu items were removed and somehow the prawns didn’t make the cut. I had never made these before but the memories were vivid.

This is perhaps one of the easiest appetizers on the planet and it’s sure to impress the guests.

You only need three things…Sliced Chinese BBQ pork, Shrimp/Prawns and Bacon. That’s it. You don’t even need seasoning. Stack them up, wrap it in bacon, skewer and grill. BOOM!

For my cook cycle I used the Pit Boss at 225 until the shrimp and bacon got some color…30-35 minutes perhaps. I had just enough BBQ sauce left over from a rib project earlier in the day to give them a glaze although they would have been fine on their own. After applying the glaze I used the sear feature on the grill to give them a crispy exterior. Normally I would take pics to share with you guys but the urge to stuff them in my face was overwhelming. I apologize! I have enough ingredients to make a couple more tonight so I can show the finished product.

Here is the before…the after will come later!

bora_1.jpg

bora_2.jpg

• Walton's Employee

@Joe-Hell I was getting ready to complain about the lack of an after shot! We eagerly await!

• Power User

@Jonathon I should probably run to the store for some more pork. I might only have enough to make two at most…that’s simply not enough.

• @Joe-Hell
    That looks to simple not to be delicious. That’s going on the to do list. Not sure where I’ll find Chinese bbq pork around these parts.

• Power User

@PapaSop I just ran to the store and got the last one…it’s tiny but it will work for a few skewers tonight! I generally find it in the meat case near the fresh pork and ham. There are also many recipes you can find online to make it yourself. I’ve done it sucessfully in the past but it’s been years since I have tried doing it. Maybe that will be another project to dive into!

You could always go to a Chinese restaurant and get an order of pork to go!

• Power User

The key to every great meal (no matter how simple) is in the preparation!

06980F57-31F1-4418-9A98-24BD0E95DEB8.jpeg

• Power User

As promised. Simply three ingredients.

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

• Regular Contributors

We used to do the shrimp in bacon years ago. I glad you reminded me of how yummy those are. I will have to try BBQ with them. The bacon saves the shrimp from being cooked to much and dried out. There on my menu soon!!!
    Those make me hungry…

• Power User

@tarp The addition of bbq pork makes them quite hearty and rich. They would be great with Chinese mustard and sesame seeds on the side! The cook was a little longer than I remembered (thanks tequila). It was closer to 45 minutes set to 200 before the sear.

• @Joe-Hell
    Yep…Got to do that. Going on a Chinese pork hunt. (already have the tequila)

Recent Posts

• K

@Jonathon @LaBarca-cf What I take @Jonathon is saying is that you might just want to “pre-grill” your fresh sausages all the way up to full cooked temperature (71 C/160 F) and then bag them. Store them on ice until you are ready to serve them. When you get ready to serve them, throw them, bag and all, into a 160 F/71 C kettle of water for 20 minutes. Your sausages will be serving temperature, smoky and delicious. You will also bypass any chance of serving bad meat. This will work especially well if you have a vacuum bag sealer. If not, slowly work the air out of a ziploc bag and seal that as well as you can.

let us know if any of this is helpful.

read more
  • T

@Jonathon sure did, and so did the other 11 out of 12 people conpared to that half hog i did. They said that both were delishous but like the black bull better. Now with that said the 1/2 hog had alot more hours of smoke time which gave it alot of smoke flavor where the black bull had more seasoning flavor. 1/2 hog was 23 hour cook with approx 6 hours smoke and one 8 lb pork butt only had 2 hours smoke. Took both meats up to 160° then cut off smoke, wrapped in foil and finished cook to 200°. Both were extremely juicy

read more
  • @Dave-R Interesting. I would have not expected that much difference between the two.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

8 users active right now (0 members and 8 guests).

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 6.6k posts in 1.3k topics.
We currently have 5.2k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Faith Fellowship.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.