Reuben Brat Question

• Hi all, I am planning to make some Reuben brats tomorrow and the package says to use Sure Cure… Is that right? I thought Sure Sure was for cured meats and not for brats. Please let me know whether to use Sure Cure. I don’t have any so, if required, is there something else I can use?

• I stand corrected on the Sure Cure - I have several packets but I am still unclear that I should use it…

• Walton's Employee

Rueben can be done either way, I personally prefer them fresh butter include the sure cure to give you the option! Good luck, Rueben is one of my favorites especially with some kraut!!!

• Power User

@dbueling Save the sure cure for a rainy day if going for a fresh brat. If you want a more authentic Reuben add some kraut and a pinch of caraway seed! I’ve also been known to grind some pastrami into the mix. High temp Swiss is a good addition as well!

I’m going to pull some Reuben brats out of the freezer to help you mark the occasion!

• Awesome, thanks for the input. Have to go to the store and pickup some caraway seeds and kraut. Have a great Sunday!

• One last question please. Suggestions on where to start with the amounts of kraut and caraway seeds for a 10 lb batch? Thanks in advance!

• Walton's Employee

@dbueling really is a matter of taste, last time I did 14 oz can to a 25 lb batch and that wasn’t enough for me. Maybe try 20 oz to 10 lb?

@Austin do you have any thoughts on this?

• Admin

@Jonathon @dbueling
    For the Reuben Brat, I would use approximately two 15 oz cans of sauerkraut for a 25 lb batch.
    If you wanted to make a sauerkraut brat with that as the main flavor profile, you could use up to 5 lb of sauerkraut.
    For caraway, I’m seeing anywhere from 20 grams to 100 grams in a 100 lb batch of sausage, but nothing specific for a reuben or sauerkraut brat.

• Jonathan, Joe and Austin, thanks so much for your input. I ended up using 20 ounces of krat, 6 ounces or thousand island dressing and 1 TBLS of caraway seeds for a 10 pound batch. The only change I might make next time is to add more caraway. That said, these were the best brats I have EVER had and may family agreed so thank you!!

• Power User

@dbueling That’s great to hear! I generally go by eye on additions like caraway. I’ve got some Reuben brats stashed away in the freezer. I think I’ll have to pull some out this week. I just love them with copious amounts of horseradish or hot mustard.

Recent Posts

• @Jonathon the controller is from Auber Instruments. I ran PID controllers for 8 years and wanted the WIFI / App capability and also program capability to help drive consistency. It is capable of handling 1800 watts but I knew that I would be drawing more than that running 2 heating elements with fans from a convection oven so I hooked up a solid state relay in line to handle to load. The controller has 6 steps that can be programmed to jump to the next step based on time or temp from probes. It also lights the igniter in my smoker attachment when programmed to.

The other app shown is for the Fireboard thermometer. I purchased this so I could have a thermometer that I could move around to the grill or oven, access remotely and log sessions . It really helped me become aware of the heat variation that I had in my custom 1950 International Harvester fridge / smoker that was my grandfathers. This is why I added the convection oven fans and also the two fireplace fans.

IMG_0997.jpg IMG_1003.jpg

read more
  • L

@craigrice I actually eat very little of it. Give most as gifts at Christmas. I will hold some back for company or special occasions

read more
  • C

@leesanders looks good , how long will that last ?

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

17 users active right now (2 members and 15 guests).
Billy Bear, djc51, rbaker369195, Tombrush73, bpowers5757, hotkarl, grizzly, hjz82069, Mike C, Papa Mike, knifemaker3, Big Sell, leesanders

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 8.9k posts in 1.5k topics.
We currently have 6.4k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, bpowers5757.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.