starter culture

• what is the best starter culture to use when making dry cured pepperoni? I want to make it then hang it in the basement where the temperature will be around 60 F and the relative humidity around 75%

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Ed_Orum The most popular starter culture that we carry for pepperoni would be the Bactoferm LHP but that requires warmer temperatures than 60° as its optimum growth is from 90-110°. Doing this in your basement will be a “proceed at your own risk” situation as we can only recommend doing these under controlled environments like a dry curing chamber.

There is some good information on that page, so even if you dont use the LHP I would recommend checking it out.

Anyone have any tips for Ed?

• I’ve only used LHP for making Summer Sausage. Which I hang in a homemade steam chamber to hold the perfect temperature until I get the pH drop I’m looking for, after smoking you can let it hang if you have the perfect conditions, I prefer to wrap a stick with paper towel and leave it in the refrigerator until the desired dryness is achieved.

• Have you used a starter culture with just a straight Walton’s mix like “Lebanon bologna mix” ?

• Power User

Ed_Orum: You want to keep it at 80-100, around 90% Humidity for 24 to 48 hours hours to ferment
    After fermenting you can dry it at 50-60F 70-80% humidity if you wish (need to use cure #2 if drying more than a week or two)
    I usually dry to a 35% weight loss
    The high humidity is to prevent case hardening from drying too fast

• How long does it take to dry to 35% ?

• Power User

Lots of factors, casing size, collagen or natural casing, average humidity and temperature, air movement
    32 mm may be a week or two, large diameters may take 4-6 weeks
    I would weigh weekly
    Lots of info on the web under salami or salumi

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size