Need some help with brats.

• Hey guys! Newbie here and a little confused even after watching the videos. I currently have a Cabela’s Carnivore 1HP grinder. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Waltons so that I can start making brats. I havent made them from scratch before and wasnt exactly sure of the process or what I actually need. I want to make brats that I can smoke in my Masterbuilt smoker and then vaccum seal/freeze for use at later times.

I ordered the 11lb Waltons sausage stuffer, the Blue Ribbon brat seasoning, the 32-35mm tubed natural hog casings, pink sure cure, smoked meat stabilizer, and the sodium erythorbate.

I wasnt sure which casings to get or which one of the meat stabilizers to get. I also wasnt sure if I need the meat binder so I didnt order that.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

@armyguy glad your starting out, it’s a fun hobby/obsession!

So, if you want to smoke them then they can’t be bratwurst, brats are a fresh sausage that you don’t add cute to and just grill or cook in a pan or oven. What it sounds like you want to make is cured sausage. The processes are similar but there are 1 or 2 differences that can heavily effect your outcome. The main one being that with cured sausage you want to achieve protein extraction during the mixing process. This will bind up all the meat, fat, water and additives and prevent the fat from cooking out during the smoking process. The other major difference is that you don’t add cure to a bratwurst.

You should check out the cured sausage section of meatgistics university, then watch the basic cured sausage processing video and article. I think that will answer more of your questions for the type of sausage you want to make! I’d link you right to it but I’m on my phone.

Good luck and let us k ow if you have any other questions!

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

10 users active right now (0 members and 10 guests).
Jonathon

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 13.4k posts in 1.9k topics.
We currently have 8.1k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, seema84.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.