Walton's Steak Cookoff & Car Show, Deli Meat Advanced Classes

• Walton's Employee

Weekly Blog Post - Walton's Steak Cookoff & Car Show, Deli Meat Advanced "Classes"

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long-term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

Steak Cookoff & Car Show
    SCA
    Mark's Meats
    JP's Custom Smoke

What Videos are being released soon?

Meatgistics University: Deli Meat 201 We talk about making one large piece of deli meat from many smaller pieces.

Meatgistics University: Deli Meat 202 We go over the additives that we recommend that you use when making homemade Deli Meat.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

On August 10th we will be having the first annual Walton’s Steak Cookoff & Car Show! This is an SCA judged event, 1st place will win $2,000, 2nd place will win $1,000 even the 10th place competitor will win some money! We will also have a food and drink truck, meat snack samples made with Walton’s products, cooking demonstrations and samples of chicken wings and pulled pork form JP’s Custom Smoke!

Tickets are $10 and include 1 complimentary beverage from Shaken or Stirred, access to all Walton’s and JP’s Custom samples and all proceeds will go to Air Capital Flyers Special Olympic Team. So come visit us, have a good time and support a great cause!

And the 1st 500 customers will receive a free shaker of Walton’s Ultimate Steak & Roast Rub Seasoning!

This event is sponsored by:
    Walton’s
    SCA
    Mark’s Meats
    JP Custom Smoke
    Shaken or Stirred
    Twisted Hog BBQ

What’s on our Mind?

I am deep frying some pheasant today and I have a really good shaker I like to use that I think works well with flour for the breading. Does anyone have any particular Excalibur shaker they like to use when deep-frying?

Noteworthy Recent Posts

@Joe-Hell has some absolutely stunning pics of his Picanha and that then started off a good thread on what cuts used to be inexpensive but have steadily climbed in price in recent years.

@raider2119 noted that a lot of Butcher Shoppes have turned into “Yuppie Meat Emporiums” in Making Gourmet Hot Dogs and that gave me a good laugh!

Meatgistics Community

Our little community continues to grow at a steady rate. In the past 7 days we have had;
    43 New users
    156 New Posts
    13 New Topics

New Products

We now have 1 and 3 lb Bags of Whiskey Barrel Wood. I am looking forward to playing around with this and I am looking to see what all of our meatgistics chefs makes out of it!

Shaken or Stirred Twisted Hog BBQ

Recent Posts

• K

@Jonathon @LaBarca-cf What I take @Jonathon is saying is that you might just want to “pre-grill” your fresh sausages all the way up to full cooked temperature (71 C/160 F) and then bag them. Store them on ice until you are ready to serve them. When you get ready to serve them, throw them, bag and all, into a 160 F/71 C kettle of water for 20 minutes. Your sausages will be serving temperature, smoky and delicious. You will also bypass any chance of serving bad meat. This will work especially well if you have a vacuum bag sealer. If not, slowly work the air out of a ziploc bag and seal that as well as you can.

let us know if any of this is helpful.

read more
  • T

@Jonathon sure did, and so did the other 11 out of 12 people conpared to that half hog i did. They said that both were delishous but like the black bull better. Now with that said the 1/2 hog had alot more hours of smoke time which gave it alot of smoke flavor where the black bull had more seasoning flavor. 1/2 hog was 23 hour cook with approx 6 hours smoke and one 8 lb pork butt only had 2 hours smoke. Took both meats up to 160° then cut off smoke, wrapped in foil and finished cook to 200°. Both were extremely juicy

read more
  • @Dave-R Interesting. I would have not expected that much difference between the two.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

7 users active right now (0 members and 7 guests).

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 6.6k posts in 1.3k topics.
We currently have 5.2k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Faith Fellowship.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.