Snack sticks

• Ok so I did some beef snack sticks with ground chuck 80/20 I did 5 lbs and added 1 lb of chopped bacon and hi temp cheese, mixed very good couldn’t hardly get it off my hand it was so sticky, 19 mm casings,started them out at 130 degrees for a hour no smoke then started smoke hr later went to 140 and 10 degrees every hr after till 180 and cooked til internal 160, cold water bath and when I started cutting them up they had a lot of grease pockets I would call it,I also did 50% deer and 50% pork sticks and did the same thing but did not have any problem any answers on why the beef did it is it because I added the bacon?

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

Rogers Was the bacon cooked? The reason I ask is that the uncooked bacon fat is much more likely to render and pool (which is what it sounds like you had) when cooking, that’s not to say that it can’t happen with cooked bacon but it is much less likely. You were at 80/20 with 5 lb of beef then added bacon 1 lb of bacon which would be about 40% or just under a 1/2 lb of fat.

So Austin probably needs to check my math here but you had:
    1lb beef fat
    4 lb beef lean
    .4 lb bacon fat
    .6 lb lean bacon
    Whic is:
    4.6 lb lean
    1.4 lb fat

So that’s 23% fat content which is totally fine, so it is not the fat content of the stick that caused your issue so maybe it was the content of your fat.

I’ve added bacon before and it has made it soggy in areas but I have never seen a grease pocket. Would you be able to either post a pic of it or if you can’t post can you email it to me at [email protected]? I think the bacon will be the issue though as the rest of your process sounds good to me. When you made your deer/pork sticks did you add bacon there as well?

Rogers One other thing, as a general rule for making sausage the higher the fat is on the animal the better it is for sausage making purposes. Interestgly (at least to me) that is actually where the term “high on the hog” comes from!

• Jonathon The bacon was not cooked and no I did not put bacon in the deer sticks I am thinking it is the bacon, I think I will cook it next time crush or grind it into a powder.I will try to get some pictures the flavor is good but it is just a little bit too greasy. The kids love them though LOL!

Rogers That’s one of the great things about kids, they don’t need perfect products, just as long as they taste good! I think if you cook it and break it up you will have much better results next time.

• Jonathon for sure and yes I will try cooking the bacon first to illuminate a lot of the grease and then grind it up like I do when I dehydrate my peppers should work really well thanks!!

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

13 users active right now (0 members and 13 guests).
rhjbarney

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 17.4k posts in 2.1k topics.
We currently have 9.4k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, texasmeateater.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.