End of summer? Really!

• Although Labor day usually means the end of summer. It also means that hunting season is just around the corner. It also means there’s steak on sale.

NY strips on sale for $7. IMG_20190829_171808.jpg

Had to have one. IMG_20190829_180519.jpg IMG_20190829_181126.jpg

Not as rare as it looks. No sides this time. Just me, steak and new friend Jesse.

Excellent.

@Austin @Jonathon. Livestream on a holiday weekend? You guys rock. We’ll be there. Haven’t missed one yet.

Fire up the grills people!!! Last weekend!

• Power User

@PapaSop looking good! Oddly, I’ve eaten less meat since starting the new job at the butcher shop. I haven’t gone to great lengths to prepare anything anyway…A lack of free time is to blame. I brought a fry pan and burner to work and we spoil ourselves with trim tidbits all day. This works out well for the keto-ish diet plan! Spirits are a must and I’ve been on a tequila kick lately. As autumn approaches I will be revisiting whiskey with enthusiasm! We have a big family event next weekend for my grandfather’s 90th birthday as well as number 44 for my cousin and I…eat, drink and be merry! Love this time of year!

• Walton's Employee

@PapaSop Those look awesome and well seasoned, looks to be a nice perfect pink throughout (at least in my mind) and sides schmides, steak, and alcohol is all that is really needed!

Titos and (fill in the blank) is what I have been drinking mostly this summer!

• @Jonathon
    Yep. That would be the Ultimate steak seasoning. Haven’t used the Montreal seasoning since trying this stuff. Very good.

• @PapaSop that rub was one of the 11 I won with the Broil King bbq from Walton’s the first of the year. It’s great & is almost the same as my own tri tip rub.

• Walton's Employee

@macsinsac We love it so m,much that we made the Walton’s Ultimate Rub with just a little bit larger particle size, especially the salt.

• A “Labor” day of love???
    So much for resting on a holiday. While digging through the freezer the other day. I discovered I was actually smart enough to save some venison for making some fall snacks. Labor day was spent with two smokers, dehydrator and grill going.
    15 lbs of snack sticks
    10 lbs of jerky
    1.5 lbs of carp
    Wings on the grill for supper.

A moment of panic took place when I went to stuff the sticks… No mahogany casings 🤔. Found some of Walton’s fresh collagen casing and gave it a go. Not hanging these anyways.

Probably the best sticks I’ve ever made. Very easy to chew for us we fake teeth. Lol.

Not a lot of pics, to busy.

IMG_20190902_082507.jpg
    IMG_20190902_082516.jpg
    IMG_20190903_165902.jpg
    IMG_20190902_144830.jpg

My son bow fished the carp earlier this summer. Wanted it smoked but I’ve never done it before. Came out pretty good. I’m not a fan of smoked fish myself but was ok.
    ![IMG_20190902_124030.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1567549169094-img

• @PapaSop
    Fish pic. IMG_20190902_124030.jpg

• Power User

@PapaSop I spent 10 hours yesterday hand processing 300 lbs of onions before taking a break…then there was 2 hours of clean up. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to wash the stank off of me. Lol

B7729ACC-43F6-4CFE-A6ED-E99FA03A0A9E.jpeg

• Walton's Employee

@Joe-Hell I hope you had a good podcast or audiobook to listen to! 10 hours is an insane amount of time to be processing onions. Hopefully, that’s the last time you will have to do that for a while?

• Power User

@Jonathon I listened to the new Tool album, lots of Janes Addiction, Raconteurs, Mother Love Bone and Soundgarden!

If my guesstimates are correct I should have enough onion for about 2000 lbs of sausage…give or take

• @Joe-Hell
    That’s a lot of onions. Are those some type of musical groups??? Hmmm.

• Regular Contributors

@Joe-Hell I did not see a complementary box of tissues in that pic.for doing all of those onions lol

• Power User

@PapaSop Nice work on the sticks, looks good!
    @Joe-Hell I don’t even know what to say about all those onions…

• Walton's Employee

@Joe-Hell Any tips to not cry when cutting onions? I love onions but man do I HATE cutting them up!

• Power User

@Jonathon @Joe-Hell We used to dice them in a french fry cutter! makes quick work of them!

• Power User

@Parksider I’ve been considering going the fry cutter method. I used our Thunderbird meat grinder on all of the white onions! It made a terrible mess. Overall I’d give the machine a grade of an F and the customer support isn’t far behind. They don’t seem to have a working knowledge of the machine. I don’t know how it ever left the factory. Check out the video to see the mayhem

https://youtu.be/O7v8dPB_F6Y

• Walton's Employee

@Joe-Hell YIKES! I saw your post with the meat spilling out the bottom and thought it was something you set up wrong (no offense I just couldn’t imagine that was what it was doing) but…YIKES!

• Power User

@Jonathon That’s the thing. There is really only one way to set this thing up. The company said we were feeding too fast. Well…it’s only has one speed! lol. The only timing adjustment is for the length of time the mixer goes forward or reverse and how often it changes direction. The half inch gap between the mixer and the grinder is ridiculous. Also…it only grinds about 10 lbs a minute! ARRRGGHHH

Also…they sent it to us in a non-operational state in that the safety switches cannot engage. One of them I could easily access and adjust but the other would require removing the motor which I’m assuming is a pain in the ass. I ‘fixed’ the switch issue by wrapping a nickel with masking tape and wedging it between the switch and door. The company claims it would have never left the factory without testing. I call BS.

Tonight I have about 100 lbs of pork to grind and I’m not too enthused about it. For smaller jobs (10-12 lbs) we have been using my trusty Weston #8. It says something about the $100 Weston when it’s more reliable than the $10K Thunderbird AMG-50.

• Walton's Employee

@Joe-Hell That’s disappointing, you might want to show them that video? You probably already have but if not it would be worth a shot.

• Power User

@Jonathon I sent it to them and the guy was still denying that it was an issue. He also seemed to think it was weird that we used it on vegetables. I told him that the manual clearly calls the machine a meat/vegetable grinder. He wasn’t aware of this. I have more onions to grind and I’m really not looking forward to it.

• Walton's Employee

@Joe-Hell I don’t blame you, that looks like a mess! Maybe a fry cutter is the way to go?

• Power User

@Jonathon I might have to go that route. It would be a larger dice but that might add another texture dimension. Despite the mess I will give the grinder a big thumbs up with the way it cut the onion. I’d really like to load it up with tomatoes, onions, peppers and cilantro to make instant pico de gallo but I’m frightened by the thought of cleanup.

• Power User

@Joe-Hell We bolted the french fry cutter plate to the wall, just high enough to fit a 1 gallon cambro box under it. We diced tomatoes, onions, peppers, if it fit it went through cutter. We even did squash and zuchinni sticks, perfect 1/4" or 3/8" depending on the plate. We used Vollrath everything. We had the tomato slicer, onion slicer, lettuce chopper. Those things were bullet proof too! Just search onion witch or lettuce witch.

• Power User

@Parksider Our Vollrath slicer went down hard recently. It’s in the shop for repair. I brought my Berkel for backup and we’ve got a trusty vintage Hobart that serves as the shop workhorse. I’ll probably have to suck it up and make a big mess with the Thunderbird this weekend to finish off the rest of the onions. As a side note, I’ve been draining and saving all of the onion juice. It’s astonishingly mellow. It would make a great mixer with a number of drinks…bloody mary in particular. I will use some of it for the liquid addition for new sausages. I’m also toying around with the idea of fermenting the juice into something boozy. Agave and Onions are closely related, so…onion tequila?

• Walton's Employee

@Joe-Hell If you make onion tequilla I will rip up my back lawn and grow onions!

• Power User

@Jonathon To make it a bit authentic I think you would want to char some onions…perhaps direct fire on coals briefly. Remove, grind, convert starch to sugar by caramelizing. It may need a little sugar to up the proof. You would not want to ferment in a place adjacent to living quarters. It would no doubt be odoriferous.

• Walton's Employee

@Joe-Hell we aren’t but humble sauasage makers, odiferous is a little outside our vocabulary!

• @Jonathon @Joe-Hell
    I would agree. Been doing crossword puzzles for years and never seen that word used. Lol.

• Took some of those earlier snack sticks to a gathering of friends this weekend. They couldn’t stop eating them.
    Was first batch I did 50/50. Venison, pork butts. Not sure what that fat ratio is but absolutely had a better taste and mouth feel than than my old go to which was 70/30. Those fresh collagen were also great.

Need more venison now!

• Power User

@Jonathon My new Boss is also the building manager of our building. We had a ‘complaint’ from another tenant (coincidentally my Aunt) that the restaurant that shares the space was stinking the entire property up with his onions. Let’s just it wasn’t him…but it was very odoriferous!

Recent Posts

• R

@Jonathon I have not tried WD-40 yet, the brass piece on the knob end seems to move freely, and seems to have full range of travel… just not far enough to allow the mixer paddle to slip free… There is no rust, in fact, this appears to be brand new… don’t even see any scratches on the plastic lid…

I have removed the handle / crank, but the brass piece on that side is still in the mixer… It appears this inserts from the inside, and to remove it the paddle must be removed first… am I somehow wrong about this?

read more
  • @craigrice Currently the only least expensive thing we have that will do this is the E-Z Slider and that is beyond what anyone would want to spend on something to make homemade sliders.

If weston or anyone else ever makes a slider press that hooks up to the stuffers or grinders you can be sure we will sell them!

read more
  • Okay, Im sure you’ve already done this but in the one on the left the knob is screwed in and somewhat loose, on the left it is screwed in all the way AND I am pulling back on it, it drags the thicker part back into the recess. Also, I assume you have removed the screw and the handle from the other side and pulled out the brass piece over there as well?

I assume you have tried that as you attempted to spread out the sides. I’d try shooting some blaster or wd40 from both the inside and around the knob area and let it sit on its side a little. I think it is most likely going to be a rusty spring or rust on the threads and that blaster stuff is pretty amazing at dealing with rust.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

14 users active right now (0 members and 14 guests).
knifemaker3, raider2119

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 7.6k posts in 1.4k topics.
We currently have 5.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jordan1919.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.