Swedish Potato Sausage

Recent Posts

• U

@Jonathon Braunsweiger was pork liver, beef liver, 40% meat 60% fat pork grind, salt, dextrose, cure #1, NFDM, onion powder, pepper, marjoram, ground cloves and ginger. I cured the liver in a wet EQ brine (water, salt, dextrose and #1 cure). After brine I ground the liver and emulsified it with a food mill. Mixed spices with 2 cans of Straub Dark Ale added to farce mixed well and stuffed into 32mm smoked casings. Placed into 130 degree preheated smoker to dry, after 2 hours went to increase the temps and found everything all in my catch pan. Snack sticks were Salt, dextrose, cure #1, NFDM, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, cheddar cheese and spicy V-8 juice. Mixed all except V-8, let age for 48 hours in fridge, mixed again adding v-8. Stuffed into 19mm collagen casings, after 2 hours at 130 degrees had the same dissolved casing result. The sausage shop that carries your casings in my area said I must have got them to wet. I come home and took a piece of casing and put it in water for 3 days. It swelled up and got kind of rubbery but didn’t dissolve.

read more
  • @mcherbies I find that when I use carrot fiber I like to use 1.5 qt to 25lbs of meat for snack sticks. It is boarder line too much water but the finished product is top notch and everyone raves at how much moisture is still in my sticks.B7227925-D767-4E00-A5C8-57F1CC3AAF73.jpeg

read more
  • @mcherbies Yeah, 2 quarts of water per 10 lb is going to present a few problems for you for sure. We would recommend 1 qt per 25 lb batch. I’ve done as much as 2 quarts per 25 lb batch and even that was pretty soupy. Now, it DID stuff like a dream, hardly had to turn the crank but it gave me an odd texture…don’t remember if it did anything to the casing or not.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

26 users active right now (2 members and 24 guests).
jim schaeffer, mydogs1900, Unionguy1019, robsnotes4u, Jonathon, BryanP, mcherbies

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 9.4k posts in 1.6k topics.
We currently have 6.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, mydogs1900.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.