Snack sticks , first timer

• I want to try and make an attempt at a batch of snack sticks this fall. Anyone have any suggestions on seasonings for my first attempt? I do like the bbq sticks that I can buy locally at a couple meat shops. I plan to try the encapsulation citric acid also. I understand I will need a binder does anyone have a suggestion on what they like? I am under the impression that I want the vent of the smoker open during the start of the process but then close it. Also to have a pan of water in the smoker?
    I have a grinder , obviously I think it will be easier to stuff with a sausage stuffer. I know I will need the casings , seasoning, ECA , binder and believe a cure should come with the seasoning. Are there any other items that anyone thinks I might need ? Also if I lay them on the racks vs hanging them should I rotate them during the smoke for an even cook?
    I understand that the ECA should be added after it’s pretty much mixed and then stuffed and smoked. I would like to get the items ordered that I need so that I have them on hand. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. Thanks

• JohninPa
    I’ve used the Willy’s Snack Stick mixture, habanero/lime, and the Pepperoni Snack Stick mixture, all purchased from Walton’s. They have wonderful flavors. I did use, both, the Sure Gel Binder and the encapsulated citric acid as well. They were wonderful. Try them all!

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

joduff what JohninPa used would be exactly what I would recommend. Sure gel is a bit more expensive than some of the other binder but it does the best job (in my mind) and for your first time it’s probably the best choice. Willies is an awesome all around snack stick seasoning so you can’t go wrong with that. I’d consider adding hi-temp cheese, for willies I’d just go with cheddar or hot pepper which isn’t really hot, it’s more like pepper jack.

Everything you said was correct, dampers wide open with no smoke or humidity for the first hour and then close them down and add some and a wTer pan. Check out the advanced thermal processing video where we added automotive sponges to the water pan, you can really get your telematics humidity up there with that!

I’d use 19mm smoked collagen casings and I’d hang them if possible, if not you can rotate them but they are gonna have marks either way so maybe just leave them so one side is smoother?

Don’t forget an ice bath or shower to cool them down, then leave them out at room temp for an hour, then the fridge overnight before vac packing.

Good luck, I’m sure they’ll be great!

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

7 users active right now (0 members and 7 guests).
bocephus, alanburkholder

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 19.2k posts in 2.2k topics.
We currently have 9.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, daveyw.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.