Roll Call (Start Here First)

• Paul from Minnesota joining. Impressive website & informative. 30" MES. Been smoking meat & making sausage for about 3 years.

• Hi I’m Adam and I am originally from Lake Charles, La but once my wife and I both retired from the U.S. Air Force we are currently living in Haysville, Ks. I’ve just recently started making my own sausages and meat snacks thanks to Walton’s.

• Walton's Employee

@Boudreaux Hey Adam, you aren’t far from us at all probably about 20 minutes. You should come to our store next time you need supplies, we are at 3639 N Comotara St Wichita, KS 67226. Stop by and say hi!

• @jonathon I’ve gotten all of my supplies from you guys, how was the Summer Sausage? ;0

• @austin
    Sammy from Cocoa FL. Checking in.
    New to sausage making and smoking.

• Shakopee Minnesota and I have been grilling for a while I just recently got into sausage making still working at it and want to try my hand at making different things like snack sticks and other stuff here is a picture of my smoker and some ribs I did on it

1_1530627416729_C4387F85-D96B-46FF-9677-B546AADE5749.jpeg 0_1530627416728_488BAAD0-C650-4A98-82CB-2D37FA8F1894.jpeg

• Walton's Employee

@Minnesota Hey welcome to the board, we were just up in Minnesota a few weeks ago, beautiful area of the country! Those Ribs look great, nice bark on them.

I just did some for this past weekend, I actually marinated them overnight in Pa’s Black Bull seasoning and then rubbed them with Dominator RIb Rub and they came out great! I put them in at 215° for 3 hours then wrapped them in foil with butter and brown sugar and left them in there for another 2 hours. Finally I unwrapped them and did them for another 45 minutes, I dont have pictures, I was too excited to start eating them…that or I was already late serving them to our dinner guests and my wife was yelling at me for being late with the food as usual! Anyway they were delicious!

• Athens Georgia!

• Jered from Indiana

• Hi all! My name is Gene Garate from Southern Utah checking in. I am a true nose to tail butcher, beginning with a visit to ranches to slaughter livestock and ending with aging, cutting and packaging of product. I have been using recipes from this site for some time now with great results and reviews. I use a Char Broil smoker and a 48" Weston smoker. Unfortunately I still need more smoker space for the output I currently have and my smokers are almost constantly running. I use the Zenz Dixie Sausage seasoning almost exclusively along with Country Brown Sugar cures for both bacon and hams with nearly universally positive response. Good to be here.

• Walton's Employee

@antlion It will be great to have the input of a butcher on here! Glad you like the Dixie and the Country Brown Sugar Cure they are both great seasonings. More smoker space is an annoying issue to have, you either have to go with a larger smoker or get an additional one. I look forward to seeing your posts!

• Hi I’m Ted from Orlando and I love to smoke meat on an electric smoker, also I write content about smoking food on electric smoker and reviews.

• Walton's Employee

@tedmo Welcome to the Board, look forward to your thoughts and opinions on smoking and smokers!

• AJ from Mount Pleasant, WI…
    Have been enjoying meat snacks and jerky most of my 58 yrs. Been smokin’ meat on a homemade UDS for about 3 yrs. Enjoy trying new techniques and flavors so I have a feeling I’ll be spending a lot of time on the Walton’s site and this blog. Thanks in advance for the hospitality! God Bless!

• @Austin
    Haysville Ks. Smoking and grilling for 10 years. Limited meat processing about 8 years

• Hello Everyone,
    Gary T. From Branford CT, I’ve been making jerky for some 30 years now, not sure how I missed Waltons site but I’m glad I found it, great to see all the videos tips and forums.

Trying the Waltons BOLD Jerky seasoning today in a restructured mix, I normally try a mix as is the 1st time then alter to my taste later on, I needs TONS of flavor so I’m hoping this one does the trick. I also bought the Teriyaki & Cajun to try.

Thanks for the invite. Gary T.
    0_1532271771994_20180715_141005-1.jpg

• Hello from Alpine, Texas.

• Walton's Employee

Glad to see so many new faces (or usernames) on here! @Gary-T if you like the bold but want more flavor and like a sweeter jerky check out the video we did on Tender Jerky. We wanted to see if adding more sugar and water could give us a more tender piece of jerky that was shelf stable. The jerky was very tender, certainly more tender than anything I normally make, it was shelf stable and the taste was Excellent!

• Hello everyone. NC born and raised. Hopefully the vast amount of knowlege and experience on this site will help with any questions I have and I may be able to help a little as well.

• Walton's Employee

@SmokeyBones Welcome to the Board! We are always looking for more help and experience on the board!

• @smokeybones Welcome aboard SB, Im pretty new here as well but I’ve already found a ton of great info, snoop around and you’ll find a wealth of knowlege.

• From Wasilla, Alaska here. I’ve been treating my moose, caribou, bear, even beaver, over the years. Using my own recipes or some that I got from friends and relatives. And use a home built backyard smoker. Found this site a few months ago, and have watched a lot of videos. I gotten a lot of good ideas from you people, and I may be getting a few orders together over the next few month. Might simplify some of my old tried and true family gizmo’s!

• @boomer17 Welcome Boomer, Wow those are some meats I know I’ve never tried, sounds very cool. I look forward to hearing about and seeing those meats processed.

• Walton's Employee

@boomer17 Welcome to the board, it’s great to have someone from Alaska on! You mentioned Beaver, have you ever done anything with the tail? I was listening to an episode of the Joe Rogan podcast and he had a wild game chef on that said when done correctly beaver tail is amazing! It will also be helpful to have someone who has experience with bear on here for sure!

Active Users

Recent Posts

• T

MMMMMM I was going to add Citric acid so maybe I’ll adjust and maybe do half one way.
    Thanks for info.Tarp.

read more
  • @tarp First, I think you are wise to go with the 1/2 to 10 lb ratio if you haven’t tried that cheese yet it is extremely hot! Very good tasting but it is nothing at all like our Hot Pepper cheese which tastes more like pepper jack, this stuff deserves its name in my opinion.

As for the flavor, I think they will match up fairly well. That might change if you use encapsulated citric acid, I can see the tang from the acid maybe not going so well with the Ghost Pepper Cheese. However, I also like adding Citric Acid when I make Habanero Lime snack stick so tang and heat aren’t necessarily a bad match, just something to think about!

read more
  • T

I’m going to make some pepperoni sticks in a few days and was wondering if anyone has added ghost pepper high temp.cheese to the excalibur product. My wife thinks not . I’m talking 1/2 lb to 10lbs meat.
    But we like it hotter than most people but it might not flavor it correctly.???

read more
  • Smores Will it BBQ? Smores!

In this segment we pose the question and the answer to Will it BBQ? So much more than just hamburgers, hot dogs, and other meats can be BBQ'd, Grilled, or Smoked. And, this is where we try out unique ideas for cooking on a grill or smoker. This week we are BBQ'ing Smores and letting you know if it will BBQ or not!

Prep Time

5 Minutes

Cook Time

10 Minutes

Ingredients

Marshmellows
    Graham Cracckers
    Chocolate

Utensils Needed

Foil Pan

Instructions So much more than just hamburgers, hot dogs, and other meats can be BBQ'd, Grilled, or Smoked. And, this is where we try out unique ideas for cooking on a grill or smoker. This week we are going to try BBQing Smores!

Obviously, Smores will BBQ, doing them on a grill is basically the same process as over a fire but doing it on the BBQ might have a few advantages. With normal smores, you are relying on the heat from the marshmallow to melt the chocolate and you can only do a few at a time.

Some people might say doing it this way takes all the fun out of it, the messy gooey fingers are part of it and if you have kids I’m sure that’s true but if you are making larger quantities for a dessert then this is the way to go. We lined the bottom of a foil pan with graham crackers then we laid a few pieces of chocolate on top of those and put the marshmallow ontop of that. We left the top layer of graham crackers off until just before it was done so we could easily monitor their progress.

We did a few where we cut a slit in the marshmallows and inserted a small piece of chocolate to see if that made any difference in the finished appearance.

We had our grill running at 450° and we let them cook for about 10 minutes.
    I sprinkled some Cinnamon toast shake on these and just like always that made things a lot tastier!

So, Will it BBQ?

So, in the end, is this any better than doing it over a fire? Well that depends, if the little ones want to use something like the Fire Fishing Pole and make an evening of it then this might take some of the fun out of it. However, if you are just wanting to make some delicious gooey smores for a lot of people then this is the way to go!

Shop Walton’s for Broil King S 590 Weston Pro Series #32 Meat Grinder XXXXXXXXX Hi-Temp Ghost Pepper Cheese Hi-Temp Cheese

read more
  • @mesbilawson That’s awesome, hope your next batch is as good as the first!

read more
  • M

@jonathon Thank you so much. We are very excited to make more snack sticks. We ordered more supplies today!

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.