Roll Call (Start Here First)

• Team Orange Masterbuilt

skane Make sure you sign up for team orange! Here from New Mexico

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Regular Contributors

skane welcome to the site. You can post pics by selecting reply and then selecting the picture icon from the tool bar. Bacon is looking good.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

skane Welcome! And to see all the tools/options on posting you need to hit the Reply button and not the “Post quick reply”

• Hi
    New to making my own sausage. From Mid Missouri and have made 2 small batches of sausage, First time used Grocery store ground pork and put together my own seasoning. Didn’t turn out too bad.Then I spent weeks reading and decided to take the plunge. Bought a Weston #12 Butcher Grinder and some Holly seasoning from Waltons. Had our first cooked patties this morning. Ta
    sted good but the shrank more than I expected.

So I’m here to learn from the experts.

HaroldR What was the fat content of your meat block, how much water did you add and how were they cooked? When you said they shrank more than you expected, can you give us an estimate of how much they shrank?

• Jonathon

Not sure the percent fat. The meat was a butt roast purchased from grocery store. The grind came out with a lot of white in it.

Used 1/8 cup water for one pound of grind

Put meat and water in kitchen aid mixer with paddle blade. Mixed in seasoning on low speed and then turned speed up to maybe 30% and mixed until meat started to get sticky. At that point used norpro mini burger press to make patties. Then froze.

Thawed patties in microwave 2 min at 50% power then cooked in non stick pan on electric burner maybe medium heat.

Shrinkage estimate maybe 20% in diameter and 10% in thickness. We do the same cooking process with rb rice sausage and get almost no shrinkage.

HaroldR When you do it next with ground meat that you grind yourself I’d be interested to see if you have the same issue. Your water is right at 1.5 pints per 25 lb batch which is good, a fresh sausage with no binder might not need that much but certainly, that amount is nothing that should cause an issue. I would suggest that when you do this again that you do everything else the same so you are only changing one variable at a time. Carrot fiber might be a good thing to add to prevent this, it is pretty inexpensive and holds up to 26 times its weight in water, so it will bind up water that is being cooked out once the meat reaches around 130°.

If you do it again please let us know the results!

• Coatsville IN here. Got bored during the crony shut down and decided to pick up a new hobby. Bought a Pit Boss vertical smoker from Lowes. Smoked my first Pork Shoulder with a rub recipe that I found on the net. It turned out fabulous after 8 hours in the smoker. I got hooked so i decided to make Srew on a Shingle (SOS) from another recipie that I found on the net. It was a three week process but it makes for a great breakfast. Now I’m on to making jerky. My wife is all in even after she saw what I’ve spent on equipment to make jerky, meat slicer, marinade, heat/vacuum sealer pouches for samples etc… I did agree to smoke a cow neck (brisket) for her. She said "I see you’re enjoying your new hobby but when are you going to smoke my cow neck "! Soon Sweat Heart!

JerkyMan Welcome. The cost of equipment appreciates over time. Lots of good information and experience from the folks here. It can become a very addicting hobby.

JerkyMan At least you picked a hobby that’s helping you in case our overlords don’t allow us to reopen our economy soon! Imagine picking up something like golf right now? Darn it…now I want to golf!

• Last night Wednesday 13 May 20 we were informed by our President that we will remain in level four lock down until end of may coming to 10 weeks we have to stay home apart from shopping and medical if needed.
    No booze sold for the entire period no cigarettes sold, our economy is stuffed and it will take 6 years for us to recover.
    I trust the States is not in as much difficulty and recovery is swift.
    Keep safe Keep well

Andrew You too Andrew, I know we are getting itchy to have our freedoms back and different states are dealing with it differently. I am thankful every single day that I live in Kansas, a state that doesn’t appear to have a megalomaniac as a governor. Some might like Laura Kelly and some dislike her but I respect the fact that she allowed the order to expire when she did!

Thanks for the perspective from South Africa!

• Hey my name is Josh and I am a beginner at home processing and meatgistics.

Where are you from (city/state)? I’m from Peoria, Illinois
    How much experience do you have in meat processing or smoking/grilling? Mostly Deer processing for 15 years and recently home livestock. I have been smoking and grilling for [censored] near all my life in some for or another. Really gotten into it the last 5-10 years and trying to do better.
    What is your favorite meat snack or seasoning flavor? Favorite product to eat and make are Brats. Favorite season is about anything
    What is your current smoker or grill? I have Materbuilt 1050 Gravity Series and a Kenmore propane 4 burner.

Welcome to the site. Lots of folks here with different experience and a wealth of knowledge to get you going in the right direction. Lots of opportunities here to learn, improve and try different techniques and styles.

• Team Blue

jgabehart84 Welcome Josh! I know there are many folk around here that would like a review of sorts on that gravity series grill!

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills

jgabehart84 Yes, we need a review of the Masterbuilt. Find the “grills” thread and put in there. As to where people are from search for the “roll call” thread.

jgabehart84 Welcome, we are glad to have you, I think you are going to get harassed until you give everyone your thoughts on the gravity series!

• Jonathon can do. i’ll work on it now

• TexLaw 50 years ago I lived a block east of you where my daughter was born. While there I lived on shrimp and kings. I now live in the Great White North and I’m ticked off I can’t go to Alaska to fish for sockeyes. Sure hope I get drawn for a moose to get me through the winter. If possible I’d like your recipe for those rolls. They look like winners

• Team Orange PK100 Dry Cured Sausage

Brianzipperdog123 I’m happy to oblige.

HARD ROLLS FOR WURST
    YIELD: 10 buns or rolls

INGREDIENTS

 500 g flour (unbleached all purpose 4 cups) (or sub 100g whole wheat)
     313 g water (11 ounces)
     10g salt (1 2/3 teaspoons table salt)
     3g instant yeast (1 teaspoon)
     5g sugar (1 teaspoon)
     10g butter (2 teaspoons)
     (optional) 1 egg (beaten with 1 teaspoon water for wash)

DIRECTIONS

 Mix all dry ingredients except salt well and add water until all of the flour is wetted and there are no
    lumps.
     Let the dough sit covered for 20 minutes, then knead with bread hook for 3 minutes.
     Rest for 15 minutes, sprinkle the salt over the dough, and knead for additional 3 minutes until the
    dough is uniform and somewhat smooth. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
     Stretch and fold the dough letter-style (top to bottom and side to side) and let sit for 30 more min,
    covered.
     Stretch and fold and place dough in fridge overnight, covered.
     Next morning, If the dough didn’t double in volume, let it sit out until it does.
     Divide into 10 pieces weighing 85 to 88 g each and shape as desired.
     Preheat oven to 450 F with a pan for steaming at the bottom of the oven.
     Cover dough with oiled plastic and let proof until it’s 1.5 to twice it’s volume.
     Brush on egg wash if desired and score once down the middle.
     Add 1 cup of hot water to the steam pan (careful not to splash it) and bake for 7 minutes. Turn the
    pan and bake for 7 more minutes or until 200F internally

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

12 users active right now (1 members and 11 guests).
Eric1, AdamCA, bubba_mcnabb, Tex_77

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 20.1k posts in 2.3k topics.
We currently have 10.2k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Tmoseley.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.