Roll Call (Start Here First)

• Walton's Employee

@grandma-cindy Glad to have you on the board! We have recently been doing some more cold smoking here with some liquids that you wouldn’t normally expect to have a smoke flavor to them and will be doing some more cold smoking coming up in the near future!

• Hi from Soldotna Alaska I’ve been making sausage from moose and caribou we get. I have a 3x3x4ft smoker I made with a Bradley smoke generator and a single burner Colman camp stove for the heat. I usually do about 50lbs in a load as everybody wants it so it goes fast. The garlic sausage and cabonesay sticks are what I make mostly. I got a bowl cutter off the internet so I’m doing baloney and hotdogs now to. I also just started to do drycureing with one batch of pepperoni so far.salami is next. I’ve done turkeys for thanksgiving and do salmon in the summer both hot and cold smoke. It’s been lots of fun but there is so much out there to try.1_1515387243354_8D078B5F-15B2-45DE-B256-8095C3E05E22.jpeg 0_1515387243341_562D80C6-D1BA-4DB4-B10F-ED5FD634BB05.jpeg

• @3toad I come to Jackson out of ga 3 times a week all the deer I am seeing on the road now you should be at your rut now .good luck.

• Walton's Employee

@unreel Looks awesome and I am sure you have some amazing hunting stories from up in Alaska!

• @Austin
    My name is Gary and I live in the country in southern Minnesota. I have been smoking and grilling for about 10 years. I have a Traeger grill and a homemade wood fired old fashioned smoke house for smoking. I have been making bacon using the dry brine method and now I am going to try the injection method using the maple bacon seasoning/cure. I have a question about the video you and Jonathan made on the bacon. It is clear that the bellies must be soaked for 20 minutes (twice) to remove excess salt using the dry brining method with the pickling for 3-5 days. Do you also have to soak the bacon for 20 minutes (twice) when injecting and wet brining overnight using the half strength brine?

• @Austin mike from Southeast Missouri, im new to the experimentation of meat processing. wish me luck. My grand and great grandfather were butchers. To bad i was to young to ask questions when they were alive being they were old school from Polland.

• @unreel welcome i was just in your neck of the woods last summer i was in Kenai i loved it there!

• @AllanMoyer we live in Soldotna. Been here for 34yrs.we usually get moose for making sausage and do smoked salmon and halibut

• Hi everyone, just stumbled onto this site looking for wrapping supplies, and decided to check out the community after placing my order. im from Mandan ND, been making sausage cutting our own meat for more years than i can remember. been teaching the young ones pretty hard the last 5 years along with learning more along the way. i use an old GE fridge converted to electric smoker, but am working on building a new smoker from a commercial warming oven, hopefully i can get it to work. favorite rub is a couple i have developed over the years that go great on chicken and pork. i look forward to learning more from the group. Thanks in advance for the opportunity.

• Hello everyone hope all is well. I have been doing processing of my own deer and wild game for lots of years but within the last 3 years started processing my own hogs and cattle. This had been very fun making different things from normal cuts to specialized brats for me and friends. Walton’s has been a great help on all these things so thx lot’s 😁👍.

• Walton's Employee

@fatboy Glad to have you on the board! If you make your new smoker make sure you post some pics and good job passing your knowledge on to the young ones!

• Walton's Employee

@Tony-Naerebout Welcome to the board! Brats are my go to thing as well, I make them out of everything, chicken brats are always a favorite cause I can tell myself they are healthy!

• Cassoday, KS. Here

• Walton's Employee

@bayres That’s only about an hour away from us, have you ever visited one of our stores in Wichita?

• @Austin HI Garry (Tarp) here in Lake Livingston TX the catfish capitol of TX. Retired Airlines
    Started learning how to process and make my on meats in the early 90’s while living in CO. when I found out how much they charge to process elk. Have 2 wood smokers and and electric vertical one you can add smoke to. Just made some summer sausage using Walton’s Excalibur but added high temp monterey pepper jack and whole pepper corn. Came out perfect. Thanks to Ya’ll
    Tarp

• mcduff1313 checking in from the great lakes state of Michigan. I have been curing and smoking meat & fish for over 35 years.

• Walton's Employee

Glad to have you here!

• I am going to Madrid Spain friday the ham (Jammon) capitol of the world. Bar none the place to be for perfecly cured ham especially Iberico. Black hoof pigs that free range on a diet of mostly acorns. Going to the ham museum and plan on plenty of ham Tapas and Chorizo in Madrid & Granada. Can’t wait!

• Walton's Employee

Sounds like a pretty great vacation, Ham Museum aren’t words you generally expect to hear together but it sounds awesome!

• @jonathon right it does sound strange but cured ham is highly prized in Spain.

• Hello! My name is Ed Jordan from San Angelo TX. Love to hunt, and new to home processing. I own a propane smoker, as well as an electric masterbuilt smoker. I enjoy this forum and the vodeos Waltons puts out.

• Hey all! Lewis from the St Paul area in MN. Total amateur home processor but having fun learning.

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.