Snack sticks , masterbuilt smoker?

• Wondering if anyone has made snack sticks in a masterbuilt smoker I have a ms130 I believe and wasn’t sure how many pounds I could fit in there at a time. Getting ready to place an order for seasonings and high temp cheese. If I have to do small batches I may try a few different cheeses. Thanks

• @JohninPa
    LOL! Just did a 4 pound load yesterday. (I’m Mr. Smallbatch, I do 5< loads generally.)
    I mixed my meat at a 50-50 ratio, Beef/Pork shoulder. Works for me.
    I use Waltons, Willies Snack Stick Seasoning. Tastes just right. I ground my mixture with my course plate, then mixed in the Willie’s with my Pink Salt added (Proportioned by weight of the meat) while mixing.
    Then reground through a 3/16" plate, and let the mixture chill down again. After a couple of hours, I stuffed my collegen casing using my stuffer. That snack stick rope got put up over night to let everything work.

Using my MES 30, this time I decided to cut some pieces out of some old SS oven racks I saved from a bygone kitchen range. Worked good with some smallish S-hooks to hang it from one of the MES racks. The oven rack was thicker bar, and wider spaced, and worked out just dandy. Plus, I could load my folded ropes from the small baking pan onto the new hanging rack easily. I’ve used 1/2" copper water pipe before, hung in my smoker. But I think this new thing works betterer.

So the rope is hung nice on a rack I’d already pre-fit to my MES 30, I hung it up in my pre-heated MES (125°), and started my sawdust burn using an Amazen tray in a Mailbox Mod*. Apple Wood is my preferred wood, about 2 hours works for me.
    The “Program” ia 125° for 1 hour. 140° for the next hour. 155° for the next 2 hours. And 175° for the remainder until the internal temperature reaches 165°. I got that right here from Austin’s Meatgistics video.
    Now, typical for MES smokers, the temperature in mine runs high. I use one of my leave-in meat thermometers for the Snack sticks, with an oven probe to monitor the MES box. (Thermo Pro TP-08)
    If you do that, you can set the “Food Probe” alarm to let you know when the snack sticks reach 165°, bingo, Done. 😉

• = I did >1< Salmon smoke in my Brand New MES 30 and knew I needed to modify it. I’m a smoker, not necessarily a cooker. I cold smoke Salmon, Bacon, Nuts, Butter, Etc.
      Things I cold smoke are cooked after, or blanched before, they are smoked.
      If you are interested in this modification, I suggest watching this Video on YouTube.

I got the Willie’s Snack Stick Mix to do 25 pounds. But I dole it out in batch weights for the pounds I have available to do. Hence, Mr Smallbatch. At nearly 70 YO, I’m not sure I could handle doing a full 25# batch. And if I did, I’d probably be pooping Willie’s mix trying to eat it all. 😁
    25 Pounds of Snack sticks is considerable cord wood to gnaw on. 🙄
    Ergo, Mr. Smallbatch here. With MES smokers on hand to do Smoking. But processing Snack Sticks in a MES is a great way to make them, using Walton’s Meatgistic’s video for referance.

Inna tray: (Small baking pan)
    20190925_082057[1].jpg

Inna Rack:
    20190925_092315[1].jpg

Inna a Vac Bag ready to Snack:
    20190925_173358[1].jpg

Hope this helps. 😉

• @pauliedmondsjr

Add in: My 4 pound batch yeilded 35 sticks shown, plus a couple of samples.
    I used 17mm collagen casing.
    YMMV.

• @JohninPa -funny you posted this. I am literally doing the exact same thing tomorrow. I hope someone answers soon! I’m trying to do 15lbs. I was planning on rolling it into rings and placing it on the shelves as opposed to hanging it. I think you get a lot more real estate that way. I’ll keep you posted.

• @bckarl
    Hi!
    I’ve done both, the shelf, and hanging.
    But I’m old fashioned, and think meat hanging in a smoker does something for it.
    As for results, probably a toss up. It tastes good to me.

• @bckarl said in Snack sticks , masterbuilt smoker?:

@JohninPa -funny you posted this. I am literally doing the exact same thing tomorrow. I hope someone answers soon! I’m trying to do 15lbs. I was planning on rolling it into rings and placing it on the shelves as opposed to hanging it. I think you get a lot more real estate that way. I’ll keep you posted.

If you don’t mind let me know how many you fit in your smoker.

• Walton's Employee

@pauliedmondsjr Just chiming in to say great post! Good amount of detail and step by step instructions…trying to take my job?! I’m going to do some social media posts with this, do you have an Instagram, Twitter or FB account you’d like me to tag?

• @JohninPa @pauliedmondsjr

• well guys. I’m gonna be honest with you here. I woke up this morning, all excited to make those snack sticks. I calculated all the measurements over a blissful cup of coffee. Pulled out all the equipment only to realize I had no casings!! All I had was 26mm!!! I don’t know how or why. Sooooo aggravated! I almost made snack “logs”.
      I just ordered the casings. (Along with some hi-temp cheeses and a 40lb meat mixer…my wife is gonna shoot me). So, this is not happening today. I’ll follow up when I do make them. This has been a very helpful thread. Thanks for the posts. Sorry the only thing I added was hopefully a little comedic value.

• @Jonathon said in Snack sticks , masterbuilt smoker?:

@pauliedmondsjr Just chiming in to say great post! Good amount of detail and step by step instructions…trying to take my job?! I’m going to do some social media posts with this, do you have an Instagram, Twitter or FB account you’d like me to tag?

Thanks Jonathon, I try to be helpful.
    No, I certainly do not want your job. I don’t want to move. LOL! (But being able to use the Company kitchen and equipment is enticing… drool.)
    I’m on FB, but not real active on FB. For personal reasons. I can message you a link if you’d like?

• @bckarl

Well, I think I would rather be shot, than to be Loranna’d.

• Walton's Employee

@pauliedmondsjr Go ahead and email me at jonathon@waltonsinc.com

• Walton's Employee

@bckarl I’d say holding off was the right decision, it isn’t an easy decision to make either but I’d say it was a good one!

• Regular Contributors

Hey JohinPa. I have a masterbuilt about 10yrs old and still kick-in, seems like I was able to put 8-10 # in it and filled it full. I cut some small boards like a large dowel sticks to fit across the very top and hung my long links over them. Just make them the length to not drag the bottom or they burn. My old smoker is not good at holding steady low temps as its runs up and down 20-25 deg. so put in another thermometer to watch especially at first. But they come out great. Good luck.

Recent Posts

• @PapaSop that Amazen tube works fantastic for cold smoking in my Rec Tec. Don’t need it for regular cooks cuz the smoke profile is perfect from pellets.

read more
  • C

@Parksider I used a 11.3 mm at the tip and tapered up tube with no problems with the meat going through it. Just could not get casings on the tube all at once. Hopefully the new tube will work as I like the smaller sticks. I will probably just use these 16mm casings for my personal sticks and use the 19mm for friends batches.

read more
  • C

@pauliedmondsjr
    That is the same one I was looking at on amazon for around $26 without casings
    And I do small batches also. Lol.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

17 users active right now (2 members and 15 guests).
bobbyjean77, RON PARRISH, KenQ, Jonathon, chippewa, AdamCA, mark1962, PatrickB

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 8.1k posts in 1.5k topics.
We currently have 5.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, mark1962.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.